Four season, Large scale, gardening projects.

mddezyneFebruary 26, 2009

I am currently trying to collect information on 4 season gardening projects that are community based within a larger structure. This is something I am doing a paper about, the viability of a 4 season indoor community gardening project.

I am located in Minnesota, so I am wondering if anyone has heard of any projects that are taking place in northern climates say, at, or above 45 degrees latitude. I haven't had any luck finding any information of larger scale projects, my interest is that some of the abandoned buildings (after some work was done), could be retro-fitted to work with this like a large greenhouse. Links or directions are welcome.

Thank you.

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
urbangarden(5 (IL))

Chicago has several things going on. Check out City Farm and Growing Power (in Chicago and Milwaukee). I used to volunteer for City Farm during the winter by going to the Garfield Park Conservatory to water and plant seeds in the greenhouse. The greenhouse was usable by any community group. We had a section of space and were right next to other similar groups starting seeds, teaching kids about plants, etc. Google any of these organizations to find more info. Also check out Greens Grow in Philadelphia. They grow plants hyrdoponically on an EPA designated superfund lot. It's high tech, but an interesting way to use space that would otherwise take decades to remediate the soil for growing food.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 11:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julieann_grow

We have something like that going on in a Lousiana community garden. Why dont'you contact me?

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 10:41PM
More Discussions
First Winter Garden/Groundhogs
I am planting my first winter garden this year and...
frankin
sowing kale seeds?
When can I sow kale seeds directly in ground in zone...
debcoo2229
slugs at chard under agribond...
Looks like slugs have been at my chard - under agribon...
t-bird
Evergreen shedding?
I have this beautiful expensive evergreen for a year....
FunRose
Planting Schedule
Our new neighborhood garden is located in Southern...
Glo407
Sponsored Products
Sun Black 120 to 170 Inch Double Curtain Rod
$132.95 | Bellacor
Campania International Naka Lantern Cast Stone Garden Statue - OR-105-AL
$639.99 | Hayneedle
Round Resin Tempe Planter - RC 8-1510-W
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Kichler Landscape LED 8" Wide Textured Black Path Light
Lamps Plus
6' Red Cedar Crescent Moon Plank Bridge
Fifthroom.com