zone 6 - lettuce patch start?

tonitime(Z-6a / E.KY)February 26, 2005

Hi Folks,

I have been in this KY for four years, and have just built a small hoop patch for salad. I always start some lettuci indoors ahead, but am wondering how soon i can seed out under my plastic-covered patch?? Our last frost date is May 10th or so. How soon can i direct seed greens in my little plastic tunne? I will replace it with remay after it gets warmer - then on to shadecloth.

Thanks,

Toni

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robin_maine

Lettuce germinates well with soil temps between 40°-60°. I direct seed and cover with slotted row cover as soon as possible. Your plastic cover should be fine. If there's going to be a heavy frost you can gently cover the patch with a few sheets or a light weight blanket. The frame for the plastic should be able to hold up a little extra weight over night.

Bookmark   February 26, 2005 at 4:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tonitime(Z-6a / E.KY)

Thanks again, Dear Robin! I made a beeeautiful bed of soil for this new lettuce patch- lotsa compost, manure, peat, leaf mold, alfalfa cubes, and a nice molasses dessert! I've a good heirloom lettuce seed collection and am eager to get fresh salad back in our lives! Today, whilst prepping the pea beds, i noticed that my wintered-over spinach is just beginning to grow again. Yeehaw!
Toni

Bookmark   February 26, 2005 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
Anyone grow tomato indoors?
Wondering if I should try growing tomatos in cellar...
kdup
Im having tons of issues container gardening here..
OMG..I am soo frustrated. I've only been gardening...
karjab40
Grow (and harvest) veggies in Greenhouse during winter??
Hello all! I am the proud new owner of a new 8.5ft...
kroach001
How to keep this plant
Hi all, I am new in NZ and absolutely know nothing...
eoslee
Planting Schedule
Our new neighborhood garden is located in Southern...
Glo407
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™