North Florida Lavender??

ladybarber101(9a)March 9, 2008

My husband has been doing some landscaping for some very dear friends of ours since I havent been able to work and they want to plant a row of lavender. It is a raised bed near the house and nothing else would be in it. There is a canopy of trees over the area so they will be protected from the sun and any frost. My question is which will grow here in Jacksonville?

Our local Lowes has ( Mona Lavender PLECTRANTHUS )for sale but I want to be sure they will grow before putting them in for them.

Thanks everyone & Happy gardening!

Donna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Theresa24(8b/9a NE FL)

In those conditions, you can also grow Spanish Lavender here. I have some in a well-drained bed in full sun. Has done well for me for several years.

-T

Bookmark   March 9, 2008 at 10:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
manature(9B Sanford, FL)

As you mention, Mona Lavender isn't a variety of lavender at all. It's a plectranthus, like Swedish ivy, with no odor or anything. It is a beautiful plant and will grow and BLOOM fine in shade, though it does freeze in the winter. But it's only called Mona "Lavender" because of the bloom color. It doesn't require the same growing conditions as true lavender, as it likes rich soil, evenly moist, and no direct sun.

True lavenders really want some sun. At least 4 hours or so, in the mornings. You are far enough north to grow some of them with no problem, but like most herbs, they don't want extremely rich soil, they do want to be kept on the dry side, and they do want sun.

Hope this info helps in making a decision.

Marcia

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 12:08AM
More Discussions
Yacon rhizomes
Hey Carmen, You out there? CYE pronto, I have your...
tomncath
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
Tomato varieties good from now to early summer?
I am in zone 10A or B—can't quite make out where...
pattybee
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
Weather permitting?
Has Clearwater/St Pete weather warmed enought to set...
Lydie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™