Summer & Winter squash problems

balisetMarch 19, 2009

I had some problems growing squash last year, and I was hoping someone could give me some pointers.

Summer squash: I grew the standard zuchs and yellow croockneck. Plants started out beautiful and produced well, but within a month had powdery mildew and they all died about a month later. We have very humid summers, any tips to keep this at bay?

Winter squash: I did some Guatamalan Blue Banana, Triamble, and something else I can't remember. Every vine did beautifully for a while, and then started to die from the root end very slowly towards the growing tip. I had never grown winter squash before this and I have no idea what the culprit was. Help?

Thank you!

Jody

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flabbycat

The winter squash problem may have been a squash vine borer. It's a moth that looks like a big wasp which lays its egg at the base of the squash and the larvae bores it's way down the vine. I've seen them on my summer squash. I've put garden insecticide on the base of the vine before they blossom and avoided them. I've seen other people dig the 'worm' out after they see leaves wilting.

I haven't had the mildew problem...yet.

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 12:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_marietta_sc_z8a(z8a upstate SC)

The Cucurbita moshata winter squashes (butternut, cushaw squashes) have a solid stem and aren't bothered much by squash borers. I grow Seminole squash here and it is highly productive and has no insect problems. Around here, summer squash quickly gets overwelmed by borers, squash bugs, and powdery mildew and is gone by mid-July, so in the spring I also plant Cucuzzi squash (Italian edible gourd) which isn't bothered by pests and is still going strong with the first fall frost finally takes it out. Its my summer squash for the last half of summer.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 8:17PM
More Discussions
To Build or To Buy, that is the question
I am looking into beginning a year round garden on...
StairwayToKevin
What is everyone growing in their winter garden?
I live in coastal south carolina and this year am making...
loblolly9
Protecting your garden
I have a question to ask of you gardeners, especially...
twolips
Microgreens under lights
I'm starting to grow microgreens indoors and I have...
cheach
cold fall in MN crop report
It got down to 11 degrees here Tuesday morning so when...
little_minnie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™