Need help with beginning garden.

rakin(7b)March 15, 2013

I am in zone 7 (to be more specific, the Memphis area), and my new home will be complete late this summer. I would like to start a veggie garden, but am new to it. I plan to have a raised bed located on the east side of my house. It will receive early morning (filtered) light and direct mid morning through early afternoon light. I have chosen this location to protect the leafy plants from wilting in the hot summer sun that we get. However, I would like to do a fall garden and need help deciding what will thrive during this season. My choice veggies are lettuces, broccoli, asparagus, onions, carrots - nothing that requires a lot of sun. We get temps above 70 through October.
What if anything can I plant and when should I plant them? Also, seeds or seedling?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjkly

My fall choices are spinach and snow peas, which I also do in the very early spring (planting them now-some every week until its too hot) also I have had some luck with carrots some years-other years they didd not do so well.
I am zone 7a and not quite as warm as memphis.
Broccoli should do fine in the fall, though I personally have never had any success with it at any time.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
Fasteners for low tunnels
I have just made a movable, 10 ft. long, low tunnel...
grammaj1
Anyone grow tomato indoors?
Wondering if I should try growing tomatos in cellar...
kdup
Microgreens under lights
I'm starting to grow microgreens indoors and I have...
cheach
Coldframe/hoophouse question/confusion
Hi All. I'm hoping some of you that have grown in cold...
kroach001
To Build or To Buy, that is the question
I am looking into beginning a year round garden on...
StairwayToKevin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™