Protection of Blue Atlas Cedar

a1specDecember 8, 2011

I have a 5' blue atlas cedar which made it through last winter with stress. In spite a great care over the summer it appears to be stressed, already, again. I know these trees dont like wind and it is in an open area. I built a burlap enclosure around the tree but I see and hear that actually wrapping the tree in burlap is also an option. I feel wrapping would protect it better, and I am inclined to do so. Am I making a mistake?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dcsteg(5 Shawnee, KS.)

So what are you going to do when it gets to big to wrap?

It's really not zone applicable. -10 F. will take it out if planted in the open and exposed to cold winds.

If it has any chance of survival you will need to move it to a protected area. A southern exposure fairly close to the house with little or no exposure to harsh winter winds would be a better micro-climate.

It's to late to move now. Go ahead and protect it to insure its survival through the winter then move next spring.

Dave

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 7:09PM
a1spec

Yes, a cross that bridge when I come to it. Right now I need to know if wrapping it or building a wind barrier around it is the better option.

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 10:07PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

z5 is quite varied .... where are you a little more specifically ... big city???

in my z5 ... just south of ann arbor.. mine looked rattier and rattier for 3 years.. before i put it out of my misery ... mine was 'blue ice' ....

IMHO.. it is not a z5 plant ... and it really doesnt matter what you do ....

that said ... do whatever makes you happy... stake it.. wrap the stakes in burlap.. wrap the tree itself ... make a sacrifice to the pagan tree gods.. etc ....

if it makes you feel .. like you did everything possible.. then do it.. do not wait for us to tell you otherwise ...

good luck ...

ken

ps: if it already looks bad.. and winter has not really started.. then it must have taken some damage during the summer .... and that is not a good way to start a borderline winter ....

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 8:55AM
pineresin

Agree with Ken, this is not hardy in zone 5. In a severe winter, it'll get >50% mortality in zone 7, let alone zone 5.

Try a search for Turkish Cedar Cedrus libani var. stenocoma, that's hardier.

Resin

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 1:10PM
dcsteg(5 Shawnee, KS.)

Cedrus deodara 'Eisregen'.

In case you loose your Atlas Cedar and want something similar...go for this one.

Very hardy selection, to at least -24 degrees. USDA zone 4-5.

Dave

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
Pseudotsuga macrocarpa photo
A photo of my plant
bluethuja
Pseudotsuga macrocarpa photo
A photo of my pseudotsuga macrocarpa
bluethuja
multiple leaders on spruce
Hello, Thanks for reading this post, and for the help...
jasonvohs
Deodar Cedar planted out back....
Finally got the hole dug and the Cedar in-ground. Lots...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
A question for the grafters among you
Hi,with experience,I've realised the main hurdle to...
gary77788
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™