Inovative watering

spiritual_gardnerApril 20, 2008

Surely I'm not the only one who hates to deal with a hose when ever I need to use it, plus I hate the way it looks when it's left out spread across the ground.

For the past two seasons, I've tried hiding the hose around the edge of my lawns and gardens, cutting it and adding adjustable valves, smaller pieces of hose and inexpensive sprinklers, and in general having some success. My main problem is the large size of my watering area and the fact that I only have one hose bib (in the back).

Last year I discovered a program my water company offers using the fire hydrant across the street. Using this bypasses the household sewer system, and saves money from that, if, you use enough water. (there is a deposit on the meter). The pressure from the hydrant is of course very strong, and I was able to water at least two or even three areas at once, which made hooking the thing up worth the trouble.

I'm trying to tweak the whole thing to where the hoses are hidden, easily used and adjusted. This year I will be adjusting my watering habits (about an hour once a week in most areas, not 20 minutes every other day) if needed as suggested by my local county extension office.

Has anyone out there played around with this type of thing? I would love to have an automatic sprinkler system, but that is just not gonna happen due to the tremendous cost.

Thanks!

SG

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chuck(Z10,SW FL)

Hi, mabe this will not appeal to you, but several years ago I had a simular problem. I ended up getting some containers and filled them with water. I added some small diameter hoses near the bottoms and used drip heads to water the plants. I just had to fill the water containers a couple times a week and the plants had a constant supply of water. However i should add that my garden rows were only about 8 foot long each and the plants were spaced out for good growth, so there were only about a half dozen plants per row. I also added perolite to the grow mix to retain moisture longer. chuck

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 4:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spiritual_gardner

Thanks Chuck for your response!

I'm very surprised that no one else has addressed this issue of dealing with lots of hose.

I like your idea and have used it for smaller areas. I have two major issues I'm trying to make easier.

The first is the large area of gardens. The second is the hose and what it takes to get it watered.

The past few years of experimenting with hiding hoses, adding adjustment valves etc. has taught me lessons. Last year was the most successful. This year, I hope to tweak it even more.

I'm really tired of the time it takes to haul hose and the way it looks if I don't put it away.

Thanks again!

SG

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 6:02AM
More Discussions
Growing Kale in greenhouse in winter
I have some great Kale growing in my VT garden. I want...
Hockeymanvt
How to keep this plant
Hi all, I am new in NZ and absolutely know nothing...
eoslee
favorite microgreen or cca mix for winter greenhouse?
Does anyone have a favorite blend (premade or homemade)...
celestial
Red Kuri
Just a question about Red Kuri squash. I'm growing...
steveandandrea
Coldframe/hoophouse question/confusion
Hi All. I'm hoping some of you that have grown in cold...
kroach001
Sponsored Products
Brighton Tiering Pot Fountain with Birdhouse
Lamps Plus
Pewter Whitehaus WHFH3-H4130 Brass Kitchen Instant Hot Water Dispenser
$339.00 | Blue Bath
New York Yankees Coaster - Set of Four
$8.99 | zulily
Freshware 6-Cavity Beveled Silicone Mold Ice Shot Glass Maker
Overstock.com
Outdoor Square Pillow
$25.00 | FRONTGATE