How long until banana pups?

sk8vonfixess(5b/6a)March 18, 2013

I have a musa basjoo and my friend wants one. My plant is about a lil over 1 ft. How long until it makes pups/suckers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Foreverlad(9b - Tampa Bay)

It's hard to say.

Naturally, a banana plant can pup without provocation, sometimes within months, sometimes, well over a year. Depending on how this plant was raised (from tissue culture, water sucker pup, sword sucker pup) the most significant factor is 1. the development of a strong corm. and 2. (or 1a, maybe) proper nutrients.

Without a decent corm, there's usually not enough 'juice' to support offspring. Sometimes, if the banana plant is damaged, the plant will use the rest of its energy into pushing out pups. Othertimes, it'll simply strive to push a new leaf through the pseudostem.

I've seen big box store banana plants pupping when only 3' tall. I've also seen planted basjoo sitting at 10' and still pupless. While I'm certain all the big box stores rely on tissue cultured plants, I have no idea how old those plants are when they're shipped out for sale.

If your friend is looking for a basjoo, it would be a heck of a lot faster to order one from online. Wellspring Gardens and Florida Hill Nursery offer very young TC bananas for a low price (usually 5-7 bucks). Your friend will get a small tissue culture plant in a matter of days, and for a good price too.

I just got an order of 8 Musa Black Thai from Wellspring. Your friend's plant would start off looking similar to this:

Not to complicate matters, but I posted a thread to Bananas.org a few months back asking why bananas pup, due to an interesting experience I'd had. Don't know if that'll clear things up or cause more confusion.

Link below

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Why Do Banana Plants Pup?

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 8:07PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Ah, my favorite shovel. I could own 10,000 trowels and I will always reach for THAT one. (Fiskars, 99 cents). : )

Carol in Jacksonville

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 10:05PM
Foreverlad(9b - Tampa Bay)

Amen. I practically keep the thing in my back pocket.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 10:33PM
More Discussions
Where can I get Ceropegia woodii?
Hello folks, This new format will take some getting...
flowerladylorraine
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
TR Hovey dwarf papaya plants
This year I branched out and grew two varieties of...
happy_fl_gardener
Staghorn cutting
A friend gave me a piece of her staghorn. How do I...
drich30099
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™