Why don't my plants look as good as when I bought them?

meyermike_1micha(5)April 25, 2008

I bought a ton of flowering plants last year at my garden center. I bought flowering almonds, vibertums, lilacs and so on. When I bought them they were full of blossoms. What happened? This year I have more leaves than flowers!

They are not as full bloom as when I bought them last year in pots. I called the nursery and they told me they may never be!! When they are purchased from us, as the woman said, "they were grown in ultimate conditions to sell and look good for the public in some other part of the country. They get shipped to them from all over .. But growing them in your yard, they will never live up to their full potential, because they need a perfect enviroment to do so. They are still acclimating to my growing area, and our winters."

I have them all in full sun, fertilized and growing in compost. Guess I will never be able to grow outdoor shrubs as nice as the nurseries do..Am I right? Is this woman at the greenhouse telling me the truth?

My flowering almond when I bought it, was just all flowers, beautiful, then it grew leaves after the flowers starting falling off I transplanted it into the ground last spring. This spring, it is flowers and leaves, which doesn't look as pretty.;-(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plant-one-on-me(MI 5b)

The nursery is right. The plants sold through them have been forced and very carefully controlled to give ultimate blooms so people like us see the huge amount of flowers and buy them only to be disappointed later. You can pinch back some of the flowers to make new growth that will help them fill out better. You will probably never get the same amount of blooms though unless you work with them constantly. Learn to love what you have and work with it.

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 2:59AM
karen_b(6a s.c. PA)

Remember when you planted them in your garden you shocked them and they will need at least 3 years to acclimate themselves. You could get a soil test to make sure the soil has the nutrients your plants need for optimum growth, and make sure they get at least 1" of water per week. Otherwise you'll just have to be patient. I purchased many perennials, shrubs & trees over the past 4 years for our 2 acre property and this is the first year many bloomed like they should.

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 12:35PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

So it took so long to thank you both for the encouragement..Thanks a million. I will learn to be patient!!:-)

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Growing Kale in greenhouse in winter
I have some great Kale growing in my VT garden. I want...
Hockeymanvt
How to keep this plant
Hi all, I am new in NZ and absolutely know nothing...
eoslee
Advice for clueless beginner?
I have a 5x10 raised bed that i was so excited about...
NoviceMonkey
Microgreens under lights
I'm starting to grow microgreens indoors and I have...
cheach
What is everyone growing in their winter garden?
I live in coastal south carolina and this year am making...
loblolly9
Sponsored Products
Parisian Plinth
$325.00 | FRONTGATE
Red Carpet Studios Balancer Chimes Multicolor - 10871
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Floral Dragonfly Stake
$18.99 | zulily
Arteriors Home - Tumeric Urn - DD2051
Great Furniture Deal
Ballet Pink Tillandsia Planter
$13.99 | Dot & Bo