How to tell Eggplant is ready?

linchat(10b)March 18, 2009

I have a some eggplants on the tree for a while now and they do not seem to have grown much. How can you tell when they are ripe? The variety I am growing is Black Beauty.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
new2gardenfl(Z9 CentralFL)

linchat, you can harvest even baby size. What you need to watch out for is if they are too ripe. They turn a slightly brown, dull color when the seeds are ripe for planting, but too bitter for eating.

Bon Appetite!

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 6:38AM
linchat(10b)

I read somewhere that if you can press on the flesh and it springs back then it is ripe. But only one place I read that so it did not seem to be a consensus view. Any thoughts.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 6:48AM
new2gardenfl(Z9 CentralFL)

I have seen several recipes that call for baby eggplant. I think they are ready at any size until they get old and dull. They are not like a tomato that turns color when ripe. They are more like a zuchini that you can pick at any size until they get too big and old. They become bitter once the color turns brown-ish.

It won't kill you, so go ahead and give it a try. If you are afraid, I'll be happy to come over and eat it for you since mine aren't anywhere near ready yet! ; )

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 8:12AM
linchat(10b)

There Mine, ALL MINE! :)

I have been eating them smaller but I read (again :)) somewhere that they should be eaten closer to maturity. I am pretty sure this came from the macrobiotics community, but hey, who knows, they could be right. Same premise for peppers, should be eaten ripe. Honestly I have been eating this stuff my whole life at any stage. Go figure...

I think these same folks will not touch nightshades. WE ARE FROM THE SOUTH DARNIT! We have no choice! :)

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 3:24PM
fawnridge(10A)

Eggplants are ready when you want to harvest them. Pick them small or large, but before they start to turn brown. When we lived in NJ, we picked the first ones in April and the last ones in November. Some were so small that you just cut them in half and baked them. Others were large enough to get a dozen slices over a quarter of an inch thick.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 3:40PM
More Discussions
Staghorn cutting
A friend gave me a piece of her staghorn. How do I...
drich30099
Tomato varieties good from now to early summer?
I am in zone 10A or B—can't quite make out where...
pattybee
Please help ID this agastache 9a
Hi All, It's been a long time since I've had time to...
rvird01
African Irises just bloomed; they're pretty
The plants bloomed nine mos after being stuck in the...
stewbrew FL_10b
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™