Spring weed explosion...help.

topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)May 29, 2013

My winter garden did great and the bed I was saving for tomatoes was warming up when ground ivy, Glechoma hederacei, attacked. It was very rainy and I couldn't get outside. By the time I did the ground ivy was a foot thick all over, It swamped the snow peas, and I have spent days and days getting it pulled out so I can plant summer vegies. What can I do next year to avoid this? Other than chickweed, there are no other weed problems. I did newspaper and mulch last fall, but the ground ivy loved that! I know I am leaving lots of roots and it will come back.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
afishlady(8b)

Try cardboard and mulch this summer and keep that around your plants this year. Try planting something aggressive or fast there in the spring to smother the ivy. You could do a thick sowing of bush beans and follow with sweet potatoes in summer.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 1:33PM
afishlady(8b)

Try cardboard and mulch this summer and keep that around your plants this year. Try planting something aggressive or fast there in the spring to smother the ivy. You could do a thick sowing of bush beans and follow with sweet potatoes in summer.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 1:35PM
gardengirl101

I used this great organic spray called Burnout. It is made from clove oil and citric acid. I was told to use it on a sunny day and when I sprayed the weeds instantly looked like they had literally burned up. Since spraying them I have had to do another application on the taproot weeds like dandelions but it seems to be taxing them and not coming up as quickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burnout weed killer

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 7:07PM
More Discussions
How to keep this plant
Hi all, I am new in NZ and absolutely know nothing...
eoslee
Should I cover my raised beds in winter?
Hi fellow gardeners- I have raised beds that I am not...
Becca50
Help with my cilantro microgreens
Please excuse me as I couldn't find a forum just for...
pickMEup
Protecting your garden
I have a question to ask of you gardeners, especially...
twolips
Growth in winter greens?
I am giving a serious try to a winter greens garden...
pellice
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™