Composte Ashes OK?

bertman_gw(5B West Conn)May 11, 2006

I was wondering if I could mix in my stove ashes into my soil/ composte and eventually feed my vegtable garden?

I am not sure of the ph etc? or the health factor?

How bout plants do they like ashes?

Thanks for any feed back

bertman

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bertman_gw(5B West Conn)

Any body help with an answer
Thanks

Bookmark   May 15, 2006 at 12:04AM
jomagelo(9FL)

Hi Bertman,
If the ashes come from burning logs, they are very good as a soil enhancement. They are`rich in phosphorous, which is the "P" in the "NPK" formula on a fertilizer bag, ie., 6-12-6, 6% Nitrogen, 12% Phosphorous, and 6% Potassium. They` are also particularly rich in Potassium, (K) containing anywhere from 4 to 10 % dry weight K2O, which is good. I would caution against using the ashes from any wood that may have been painted, as this might contain Lead, which you certainly will want to keep OUT of your vegetable garden. Otherwise, ashes are` fine.

Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 12:14AM
sdrawkcab(7)

+1 to what he said. i would use them sparingly though. you dont want to kill all the microbe that are making the compost. a little sprinkle each time you add compost should be fine.

Bookmark   June 26, 2006 at 2:04PM
bobb_2002(Z6 S.W. CT)

Our Connecticut soil is really acidic due to acid rain so wood ashes are a very good thing. One year I had a lot of ashes so I sifted them through a window screen and saved them for the summer. I dusted them on my squash stems and didn't have any problems with borers that year. This is a well-known organic gardening technique.
You can also chop up leaves with your mower and spread leaves, grass clippings and ashes (or lime) on your garden in the Fall and till them under right away or wait until Spring.

Bob B

Bookmark   September 17, 2006 at 9:14PM
junkmanme(z5 N. NM, USA)

My garden soil tends to be a bit alkaline rather than acidic. For this reason, I use almost no wood ashes in my compost. It would raise the PH even more. I try to incorporate things that may make my garden a bit more acidic (lower the PH).

Bookmark   October 15, 2006 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
cold fall in MN crop report
It got down to 11 degrees here Tuesday morning so when...
little_minnie
Coldframe/hoophouse question/confusion
Hi All. I'm hoping some of you that have grown in cold...
kroach001
Anyone grow tomato indoors?
Wondering if I should try growing tomatos in cellar...
kdup
Should I cover my raised beds in winter?
Hi fellow gardeners- I have raised beds that I am not...
Becca50
favorite microgreen or cca mix for winter greenhouse?
Does anyone have a favorite blend (premade or homemade)...
celestial
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™