Korean Fir

lil_rhody(z6b RI coast)December 30, 2006

I have a Korean Fir that is approx. 3' tall and very symetrical. I was told by the nursery owner that it will eventually (approx. 5 yrs.) bear purple / blue pincones.

Is this true, and does anyone have a photo to share of theirs w/ the colorful pinecones?

Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cdjr

I'm on my way out, but here is a quick picture I found. Hope it helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Korean fir cones

Bookmark   December 30, 2006 at 7:58PM
pineresin

Yes, it will . . . except it will have fir cones, not pine cones . . . a fir with pine cones is like a cat having puppies :-)

Korean Fir cone:

Resin

Bookmark   December 30, 2006 at 8:09PM
dansgrdn

One of the joys of Spring for me.

Defianately something to look forward to. Dan

Bookmark   December 31, 2006 at 1:17AM
basic(Z4a)

I think the cones on Korean Fir and Oriental Spruce are incredibly ornamental. Is it true that as Firs mature the cones are concentrated almost exclusively near the top? If so, is it true of all Fir species? Also, can someone tell me what the term is for the rigid spike that runs the length of a fir cone? I thought these would fall off the tree shortly after the cones disintegrate, but here we are at the end of December and they're still standing erect. This is not one of the more ornamental features of the tree. Sorry for getting off topic.

Bookmark   December 31, 2006 at 11:21AM
pineresin

Hi Basic,

By and large, the cones (both firs and spruces) are concentrated around the top of the tree, primarily for increased seed dispersal efficiency, also because the top is less shaded than low branches, so more photosynthesis products available for production.

The cone rachis (there's your word!) of firs can be persistent for several years before slowly decaying and breaking up. It is particularly persistent on firs where the rachis is short and stout (e.g. A. forrestii), lasting up to 5-10 years; in firs where the cone rachis is slender (e.g. A. balsamea) it breaks up sooner (2-5 years).

Resin

Bookmark   December 31, 2006 at 12:49PM
conifers

Dan,

Are those from your 'Aurea'?

Thanks,

Dax

Bookmark   January 1, 2007 at 12:17PM
dansgrdn

Yes, they are Dax. Dan

Bookmark   January 1, 2007 at 2:01PM
bryton

I've been admiring the Korean Fir for the last year and am ready to purchase one--but have a few questions. First, are the pictures (above) of Abies Koreana 'Aurea?' Second, is the tree growing in full sun (I've seen a reference to 'Aurea' growing 'best' in partial shade)? Finally, where did you get the tree (local or online grower)?

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 1:13AM
menno((Europe))

The cones of this fir are fascinating!!!
I know that grafted examples of fir's get their cones at a much earlier age than ones that come from seedlings.

I was wondering: At what age will a a Korea fir seedling have it's first cones? And at what age for a grafted example?

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 2:19AM
pineresin

"I was wondering: At what age will a a Korea fir seedling have it's first cones? And at what age for a grafted example?"

Seedlings about 10 years, grafted plants as little as 3-5 years (rarely less, but these cones tend not to develop well).

Resin

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 1:12PM
hollyshome

I think the Korean Fir would be a beautiful centerpoint for my privacy border (most other evergreens will be 5-8' tall, so this would be the reigning royalty.) My official planting zone is 4, but I have some zone 5 trees doing just fine, and suspect I'm in a micro-zone 5. My question is, does anyone have any experience growing this fir tree in a borderline zone like mine?

Thanks for any info you can offer.
Hollyshome

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 2:28PM
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

I suspect you'll be ok and I would go for it. My reference being Bickelhaupt Arboretum in Clinton, Iowa which calls their 'Heartland Conifer Collection' a zone 4 or 5. They have conifers in their collection ranging from zone 4 to zone 6. There are many korean firs in their mature collection.

Visit their website for a link to their entire database.

Dax

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 3:43PM
basic(Z4a)

Holly,

I've got two seedlings and a Horstman's Silberlocke that were planted 3-4 years ago. The two seedlings have experienced some minor winter burn, but all three are doing fine. Mine are in sandy, droughty soil and the bigger concern is they'll be short lived due to dry soil conditions. Certainly worth a try.

Bob

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 7:37PM
treelover3

Rice Creek Gardens, in Blaine, MN, (now closed) had a large Horstmann's Silberlocke planted in front of the nursery and it never winter burned, that I know of. Betty Ann said the tree had been there for about 20 years, so it had seen some pretty bad winters.
Mike
tl³

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 9:32AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

hollyshome... start your own post next time.. so the answers come to you ...

a plain old abies kor is NOT going to remain a small tree ... nor i suspect ... are the others you claim will only be 6 to 8 feet ....

research the latin names of each .... and find the estimated growth rates of your plants ... MOST listed heights are at 10 years ... year 11 .. they are ten plus the growth rate ...most they will continue at the growth rate for the rest of your life ...

after transplant.. by about the third year.. you will see the annual growth rate ...

i bring this up.. so that you can decide now.. while they are still small .. if perhaps you need to rethink some of your plantings ...

a plant like silberloche ... will not grow like the plain old green one.. it will be slower... a dwarf of the larger parent ... but it still might grow 6 to 12 inches a year.. depending on how happy it is ...

never trust labels.. and learn a lot more.. there are some great conifer tutorials and a good database at the American Conifer Society website..

ken

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
Larix decidua 'Pendula' & Picea abies 'Spring Fire'
I am looking for Larix decidua 'Pendula'. I understand...
ladylotus
Does the Thuja Green Giant bronzing in winter include crispiness?
We are zone 5 in southern nebraska. We have 60+ thuja...
bhpeters
yews - ok to cut clear to the ground?
I have a couple yews (probably T. X media) that were...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
New arrivals
L-R back row. Picea a. 'Susan'. . Picea a. 'Summer...
davesconifers
Coastal Redwoods in cold climates
Hi everyone, I am in desperate need of advice as my...
yesseniatr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™