fall garden

lauren306(8)May 15, 2011

I am in zone 8, what kind of things can I plant for a fall garden and when should I plant them??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KMKacan

Nov. 15 is your first frost. For a fall garden in zone 8 you can safely plant Kale, Lettuce, Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, Peas, Broccoli, Beets, and Carrots.

Happy Gardening,
-Kristina K.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Farm Wife

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 1:13AM
ga_karen

It would depend on what area of zone 8 you are in! I'm right in the middle & can do more things than those at the northern end of zone 8.
You can also plant potatoes, radishes, kohlrabi, collard greens. Garlic is planted in Oct. to over-winter and onions in my area are planted from Nov. to early Jan.

If you are south of me, you can have tomatoes until close to Christmas.

Most things are planted when it starts to cool down a bit...generally in late Aug. or Sept....but it will still depend on YOUR area.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 2:39PM
ga_karen

And I forgot celery!

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 3:45PM
zzackey(8b GA)

I guess it depends on what you consider fall. I am getting ready to plant some tomatoes. Anything that will ripen before your frost date. We live in 8b. About 1 hour from Jacksonville, fl. I planted corn one year and covered it on Nov.9 and it survived. I got 27 ears from it. Trial and error as always. Collards do wonderful here and so does broccoli, lettuce and strawberries. I go by the calendar the local ag center puts out or you could google your zone for the proper planting times.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 6:26PM
More Discussions
Growth in winter greens?
I am giving a serious try to a winter greens garden...
pellice
Should I cover my raised beds in winter?
Hi fellow gardeners- I have raised beds that I am not...
Becca50
Anyone grow tomato indoors?
Wondering if I should try growing tomatos in cellar...
kdup
Evergreen shedding?
I have this beautiful expensive evergreen for a year....
FunRose
Planting Schedule
Our new neighborhood garden is located in Southern...
Glo407
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™