SoCal Fall/Winter Gardeners?

phil.bunchMay 23, 2013

I am planning a major fall/winter effort this year and would like to chat with folks who have been doing this in the coastal San Diego or Orange County areas. I'm actually in Lemon Grove.

Thanks, Phil

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dretutz

In Laguna I plant Broccoli and cabbage as soon as the summer greens are spent. Usually the peppers and tomatoes are still going strong. When tomatoes are done, I plant beets, carrots and collards. I have two small, raised beds and a vermicompost to feed the beds.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 3:32PM
phil.bunch

So you get good germination during the hot fall weather? Being more inland here it gets hotter. I keep thinking the cool season crops may not germinate well or that it will be very difficult to keep the the seeds moist.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 5:52PM
lisahistory

I'm in coastal San Diego. My two big rules for fall are to plant the garlic near Columbus Day and the seeds for (short-day only) onions in November.

You're right - if you're not truly coastal it will be too hot (and dry!) to plant too early.

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 2:46AM
bluehrs

Winter is awesome in SoCal. I'm a little north of you in Santa Barbara, but even with less daylight and cooler teps, my winter gardens are nearly as productive with less upkeep from watering and pest prevention.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Square Foot Gardener Blog

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 7:10PM
Marcijean(9A)

Good question. I'm in Santee and have been trying to figure out the same thing. It's been cool so far, but it can get and stay in the 100's until mid October.

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 3:47PM
phil.bunch

Very cool summer so far. What will you be planting?

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 6:23PM
woohooman

I'm in Santee too. Been doing fall/winter stuff for quite a few years. I'm no expert but I have learned a few things over the years. What you need to know? If I can answer, I will.

One thing that you may all want to know for the warm areas, and that includes the coast in Aug/Sept/Oct. -----

Indoors, under shoplights for a lot of my starts and/or get transplants from the nursery(no big box stores). It's just too damn hot to get brassicas and lettuces going in August outside. Same thing with onions(short day) so that they're ready in mid Oct. Actually, I do the same for my spring plantings also. Why worry about slugs et al nipping at my sprouts when I can just plant well established seedlings?

When it gets too hot after I transplant in late Aug/Sept,, shade cloth or old sheets work wonders during the peak of the day.

Kevin

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
Advice for clueless beginner?
I have a 5x10 raised bed that i was so excited about...
NoviceMonkey
sowing kale seeds?
When can I sow kale seeds directly in ground in zone...
debcoo2229
slugs at chard under agribond...
Looks like slugs have been at my chard - under agribon...
t-bird
Help with my cilantro microgreens
Please excuse me as I couldn't find a forum just for...
pickMEup
Growing Kale in greenhouse in winter
I have some great Kale growing in my VT garden. I want...
Hockeymanvt
Sponsored Products
JOCKER Throw by Missoni Home
$472.00 | Lumens
Adnet Mirror 45 - Black - Gubi
$879.00 | HORNE
Treated Pine Mini Log Rail Bridge
Fifthroom.com
Area Rug: Casual Chic Winter White 3' 3" x 5' 3"
Home Depot
Missoni Home | Lomé Pillow 16x16
YLiving.com
RONBOW Rebecca 18" Vanity
Modern Bathroom
Floral Garden Traditional Red Area Rug (8'2 x 9'10)
Overstock.com
"Water's Edge" Bench - DARK TEAL
$1,379.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™