Growing Artichokes indoors and out

phishead03(5)June 19, 2010

I started my first vegetable garden this year, and wanted to try growing artichokes for next year (I've hear it takes a couple years for them to mature). I live in a very cold climate (Wisconsin), so year round growing would need to be done inside.

My question is.....should I just bring the plant inside this winter and put it back outside next year? OR.....should I just let it die off in the winter and come back next spring.....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Neither -- you won't have any success with traditional artichoke varieties like Green Globe or most of the Italian ones in our climate -- they can't overwinter outdoors and are too hard to overwinter indoors really without a greenhouse. I have had some success overwintering the roots by digging them fairly late (around Veteran's Day) and overwintering below the frost line in a deep pit lines with straw.

What you need to do is plant Imperial Star or Emerald, the "annual" types that bloom the first year from seed following a vernalization treatment -- start seeds indoors in March, move the little plants outside in April so they get a good dose of chilly weather, then plant, and they'll bear artichokes from around late July into October.

There are a lot of threads on here about this. Do a search for Imperial Star and they should come up.

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Fasteners for low tunnels
I have just made a movable, 10 ft. long, low tunnel...
grammaj1
Desert gardening?
I'm moving to a desert climate pretty soon and do not...
oohstella
newbee pest control help
Neighbors and I are starting a joint vegetable &...
Glo407
Red Kuri
Just a question about Red Kuri squash. I'm growing...
steveandandrea
Protecting your garden
I have a question to ask of you gardeners, especially...
twolips
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™