Too late to plant?

kshe7(z5b IL)June 23, 2005

Hello. I'm wondering if anyone has tips about vegetables and/or herbs that I could plant now (6/23/05). We bought our place in Chicago last fall,

and I've finally got the would-be veggie plot prepared.

I built a raised bed yesterday; all spring I worked on other plantings and rooting up the existing garden: wild parsnips and broken glass!

Anyway, if you have any suggestions about summer plantings, I'd be happy to hear them. I know I'm late to the game, but I've got a sunny new "field" I'd hate to leave fallow 'til next year. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organica(7RichmondVA)

If you're eager for summer veggies, get transplants from the nursery so you won't have to wait for seedlings. Look for short-season items that will mature in time. Zucchini, squash, pickling cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, herbs.

And there's enough time to focus on your fall veggies - things that will mature in the cooler weather, such as peas, cabbage, beets, kale, spinach, lettuce, potatoes. Asian greens are very fast-maturing.

If you don't have one, get a veggie gardening book for your region. A good book will have planting dates and suggestions for what varieties to plant.

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 8:30AM
More Discussions
Microgreens under lights
I'm starting to grow microgreens indoors and I have...
cheach
First Winter Garden/Groundhogs
I am planting my first winter garden this year and...
frankin
Grow (and harvest) veggies in Greenhouse during winter??
Hello all! I am the proud new owner of a new 8.5ft...
kroach001
To Build or To Buy, that is the question
I am looking into beginning a year round garden on...
StairwayToKevin
Growing Kale in greenhouse in winter
I have some great Kale growing in my VT garden. I want...
Hockeymanvt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™