Winter-over spinach in containers

adenn1(z7PA)July 30, 2004

I was going to try some spinach in 4' window boxes for the fall. I had no plans to try to keep them till spring until I came across this forum.

My question is whether the spinach could be wintered and then be harvested in the spring. I have a covered area (under my three-seasons room)that I could put the containers and then mulch them over with shredded leaves. Would this work. Any paricular variety of spinach that would be successful?

Thanks much...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kendrab225(z7 Alabama)

Spinach is very hardy. Territorial Seed Company has some varieties that are extra hardy. They will over winter with very little protection. I don't give my spinach any protection and they survive all winter. But our lowest temps are usually in the low teens. I wouldn't bother put spinach in pots. I put them straight in the ground. But then again I usually plant a few hundred plants.
Kendra

Bookmark   August 7, 2004 at 9:50AM
kathicville

Adenn1.....I have the same idea---I have two 4' long 'hayrack' planters on the side of my garage, fairly sheltered, but sunny in the afternoons. I thought I'd put them to use over the winter by growing spinach and dwarf carrots. I might keep a couple of pieces of row cover handy to cover them up if the weather gets really cold (not a frequent occurrence here in Central VA), but otherwise not give them additional protection. I also have a small coldframe where I can grow a few things as back-up, in case my experiment fails!

Good luck!

Bookmark   August 14, 2004 at 5:29PM
adenn1(z7PA)

I plan to start the spinach in the containers in the next week or so--I believe I should wait till weather get a bit cooler. Will let you know how it turns out...

Thanks...

Bookmark   August 27, 2004 at 7:13AM
More Discussions
Anyone grow tomato indoors?
Wondering if I should try growing tomatos in cellar...
kdup
Desert gardening?
I'm moving to a desert climate pretty soon and do not...
oohstella
slugs at chard under agribond...
Looks like slugs have been at my chard - under agribon...
t-bird
Should I cover my raised beds in winter?
Hi fellow gardeners- I have raised beds that I am not...
Becca50
First Winter Garden/Groundhogs
I am planting my first winter garden this year and...
frankin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™