Remember the daff bulbs I planted the other day?

schoolhouse_gwSeptember 24, 2013

I was mowing and came upon the area where I had planted them. A skunk had gone through and dug up every bulb one by one and tossed them aside! Didn't even nibble them. This is the first time I've ever had critter trouble with daffs. lol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
koszta_kid(Iowazone 5)

Customer had that her cats. Had to spray area with cat begone.-it works on skunks and raccoons also.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 8:57AM
schoolhouse_gw

Would you believe I replanted them and today I walked down there and they were dug up and laying on the ground again??? I think I'll just gather them together and wait awhile before I plant them again.

Koszta, I might end up having to resort to one of your solutions.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 9:47PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

It is frustrating to see one's hard work undone. To have to plant three times must be maddening.I lay chicken wire over newly planted bulbs to keep squirrels out then remove it before the ground freezes. Even a week or so allows the ground to settle and is less attractive to digging critters.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 22:08

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:02PM
dyhgarden(7b)

I have a problem with voles, so I use gravel in the bottom of the holes. In a small space, using metal edging (dig out a small trench to put it in deep) and gravel paths help, but they can still come up out of the ground and scurry across!

Cameron

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 8:36AM
Cenepk10(7B)

Wonbyherwits- Did you say voles ? They are terrorizing my garden. Thanks for the advice !

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 8:12PM
Cenepk10(7B)

Schoolhouse : this makes me mad about the skunk. Deer are in the skunk caragory of nuisance critters. They ate every single bloom off my confederate rose tree. At least the Skunkhead didn't consume your bulbs ! Thank you so much for your wonderful reply in re the Ageratum . :)

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 9:12PM
Cenepk10(7B)

Schoolhouse : this makes me mad about the skunk. Deer are in the skunk caragory of nuisance critters. They ate every single bloom off my confederate rose tree. At least the Skunkhead didn't consume your bulbs ! Thank you so much for your wonderful reply in re the Ageratum . :)

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
An Irish Cottage Garden.
Not my own Irish Cottage Garden this time,..i have...
nulty
Wanting to sow my wild flower seeds, have questions
Recently a gas line was installed in front of our house...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Forum changed ALOT
OMGosh, this whole forum completely changed! WHen did...
todancewithwolves
Here's what my Garden looks like!!
The icicles are getting crazy big, but they look pretty...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Brrr, woke up to no power this morning and the house...
cyn427 (zone 7)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™