small sunny front yard - help me plan

onthebrinkMarch 25, 2012

My front yard is divided in two by walkway up to the house. One side is shady due to a big magnolia. It's primarily nautral mulch, ferns, caladium, etc.

The other side is in full sun (facing east). It's small (bordered by the driveway, street, walkway, and another curved walkway closer to the house). Last year I had perennial peanut, which was wonderful, but I'm not sure if it will come back. I ripped out the privets that were by the street. So, it's a fairly blank slate.

What about something like in the link? Could I put something showy, like a rose, in the middle? (I know nothing of roses, but would like to learn!)

Here is a link that might be useful: raised circular herb garden

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
L_in_FL(8B/9A Border, NW FL)

I've always loved those circular gardens. :-)

The one thing you might want to consider is winter appearance. You can always hide winter bare spots on the bottom level with winter annuals, but a big plant in the center will be very visible year 'round. I have roses all along the front of my house, which means that in the winter I have bare stems all along the front of my house. Some plants have a nice branch structure or interesting bark, and so they look good even when naked. Roses are (IMO) not one of those plants! Every winter I toy with the idea of replacing some/all of the roses with evergreen shrubs because of this, but every spring I chicken out because I like the rose blooms. I am just trying to help you avoid the situation I have put myself into.

I know I am way north of you, so maybe someone closer to Lakeland will chime in, but don't you get enough cold to defoliate roses for a couple of months?

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
Yacon rhizomes
Hey Carmen, You out there? CYE pronto, I have your...
tomncath
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
So, What Do YOU Do About Coons And Possums?
I just sent three of them to that big veggie garden...
brute
Mexican Flame Vine
It is conceivable that I've asked this question here...
wisconsitom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™