Seed Source for Rural 7B Texas

Brahmama(7B TX)August 27, 2003

Getting back into gardening and going to try my luck in the fall as the heat (and wind) in the summer here is killing my plants. Where is a good place to order seed? It's been a few years since I've had any seed catalogues around, but I guess I'm not too old to try again!

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morningstar_nwfl(z8 FL)

try: territorialseed.com, Burpee.com, Parkseed.com, rhshumway.com .
I did an online search for "free vegetable seed catalogs", and got about 15000 options.

Bookmark   August 28, 2003 at 11:33PM
Brahmama(7B TX)

Exactly, Morningstar. There are so many. I was hoping to find a source where people in this same region ordered from. It seems to me that seeds from veggies raised in the same climate would do better. Does that make sense? I guess I was hoping for a "southern" or "southwest" seed source. But thanks for the suggestions and reply.

Bookmark   August 29, 2003 at 9:11AM
morningstar_nwfl(z8 FL)

Ooops! I meant to tell you (but forgot) that I use Park Seed (from the Carolinas), and Shumway seeds. A lot of the catalogs, like Burpee, list varieties that are heat and drought tolerant, like "Heatwave" and "Homestead" tomatoes and "Black Seeded Simpson" and "Salad Bowl" lettuces, "Wando" english peas, etc....
Did you want heirloom or hybrid varieties? Rareseeds.com has some great varieties.
Good Luck!

Bookmark   August 31, 2003 at 9:17PM
Violet_Z6(6a)

I highly recommend Baker Creek Seeds. Excellent customer service, excellent selection, excellent germination rates.

It depends on what you're wanting to grow. Let us know or if you'd like to browse customer opinions of mail order companies, check out the Garden Watchdog: Guide to Gardening by Mail

Scroll down and they have the "Top 20" listed. You can search by company or by products like herbs, vegetables, grasses, ferns, etc.

:)

Violet

Here is a link that might be useful: Recommend a Seed Co?

Bookmark   September 3, 2003 at 12:38PM
steeletm(NC)

You have a Texas source for seed - Willhite Seed Company (www.willhiteseed.com) in Pooleville. Also try local feed stores for bulk seed (they measure the amount for you instead of selling prepackaged seed). Avoid the "city-slicker, Big Hat no Cows" feed and garden stores and the big box stores unless you enjoy buying expensive seed that works well in California. I gardened in Texas for six years and found these sources had seed that worked well for Texas' climate.

Bookmark   September 10, 2003 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
sowing kale seeds?
When can I sow kale seeds directly in ground in zone...
debcoo2229
Planting Schedule
Our new neighborhood garden is located in Southern...
Glo407
Grow (and harvest) veggies in Greenhouse during winter??
Hello all! I am the proud new owner of a new 8.5ft...
kroach001
newbee pest control help
Neighbors and I are starting a joint vegetable &...
Glo407
Evergreen shedding?
I have this beautiful expensive evergreen for a year....
FunRose
Sponsored Products
Maroon Veg Dyed Diamond Dz Super Kazak 5'x7' Hand Knotted Wool Persian Rug H3992
BH Sun Inc
Skydro Ceiling Light by Artemide
$3,480.00 | Lumens
Area Rug: Beatrice Green 5' 3" x 7' 6"
$48.99 | Home Depot
Worthy Leather Loveseat - Brighton Sunset Orange
Joybird Furniture
Deep Lichen Green Circle Rings Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Silver/ Black Eagle Heavy Duty Rural Mailbox
Overstock.com
Charlise Rug 5' x 7'6" - RUST