Winter variety Seeds

billy_bSeptember 16, 2010

I have had some very good winter gardens but they have been limited in what we grew. What I am looking for are some carots that maybe adapted to winter gardening. I understand that the French have several that they have adapted for cold weather. I have had some luck with a lettuce mix and good luck with Blooomsdale spinach Our brussel sprouts were to stressed to produce but grew well.

Does anyone know of a seed company that specializesin cold weather seeds. Danver carots do reasonably wellifgrown tofull maturity and leftto harvest in the winter.But I am looking for something different.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolynbinder

There are so many wonderful vegetables you can grow in the winter. Expand your greens to collards, kale and chard. Then add onions, garlic and shallots. Broccoli and cabbage also enjoy the cold weather. Turnips, parsnips and radishes like it, too. Depending upon where you are, you may have to mulch heavily or use frost cloth, but I think fall and winter gardens offer some of the best gardening opportunities of all. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cowlick Cottage Farm

Bookmark   September 19, 2010 at 9:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
curt_grow

Johny's select seeds carries winter seeds. I know that they carry the carrots that Eliot Coleman recommends for his 4 season harvest. I think they have the miners salad also. They are out of New England if that helps you any.

Curt

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
Growth in winter greens?
I am giving a serious try to a winter greens garden...
pellice
Protecting your garden
I have a question to ask of you gardeners, especially...
twolips
Fasteners for low tunnels
I have just made a movable, 10 ft. long, low tunnel...
grammaj1
To Build or To Buy, that is the question
I am looking into beginning a year round garden on...
StairwayToKevin
Evergreen shedding?
I have this beautiful expensive evergreen for a year....
FunRose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™