Eliot's A-Frame

aleopold(6b/7)October 14, 2005

Anyone heard of Eliot Coleman's A-Frame?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organica(7RichmondVA)

Is someone marketing something called that? His book, Four Season Harvest, doesn't mention one - the big star of that book is the Gothic hoophouse. But he's written other books and does collaborate with dealers on garden product design.
-O

Bookmark   October 14, 2005 at 4:21AM
swanz(z5NH)

I've read his books. Never heard of his A-frame,but he did have
a hoophouse set on tracks which he would move to different garden
beds on a rotational basis to decrease the usual greenhouse pest
problems.

Swanz

Bookmark   December 9, 2005 at 7:46PM
huisjen(z5 ME)

Last time I was at his place on Cape Rosier, it was late winter, maybe two years ago. He had an A frame with single layer plastic over it, with wiggle wire on the ends. One of his minions was closing it up for the night as I stood there. He said it was an experiment in overwintering some tender perenial stuff. I think he had rosemary or something of similar tenderness in there. It was made of 1" square tubing, which he said he used because it was at hand, left over from some earlier experiment. It was an equalateral triangle, 8' on a side and maybe 40' long. I don't know if he's done any more with it.

Dan

Bookmark   December 16, 2005 at 3:18PM
tomatobob_va7(z7 VA)

I'm in the midst of reading his 4 Seasons Gardening. He does mention a "temporary A-Frame" in there. He's talking about peas on a trellis and suggests putting plastic over th trellis and anchoring the ends to make an A-shaped temporary cover.
By the way, I appreciated the tribute in the first poster's handle to Aldo Leopold, a great and early American naturalist.

Bookmark   December 27, 2005 at 7:08PM
tbolt76(Z7-8 NC)

The A frame is something he came up with b/c he had leftover lengths of square galvanized tubing. He says in one of his video's "why must a greenhouse be round?", and proceeded to build an A frame plastic covered house. He overwintered his leeks in there to make them easier to harvest. Each side was made of a 9' piece of square tubing and was set over a small stub sticking out of the ground, plastic attached with wiggle wire.

Bookmark   February 24, 2006 at 11:17PM
robin_maine

He also uses an A-frame over the compost pile in winter to keep it from freezing solidly. The outside few inches will freeze now and then but the rest stays thawed.

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 3:32PM
More Discussions
sowing kale seeds?
When can I sow kale seeds directly in ground in zone...
debcoo2229
Advice for clueless beginner?
I have a 5x10 raised bed that i was so excited about...
NoviceMonkey
What is everyone growing in their winter garden?
I live in coastal south carolina and this year am making...
loblolly9
favorite microgreen or cca mix for winter greenhouse?
Does anyone have a favorite blend (premade or homemade)...
celestial
Should I cover my raised beds in winter?
Hi fellow gardeners- I have raised beds that I am not...
Becca50
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™