Indoor Winter Garden

smorley(z6 MA)October 1, 2003

All,

I plan on growing some vegetables (tomato, broccoli, carrots,lettuce) indoors in a spare room I have. DOes any one have any tips or warnings? Also, I plan on using an Indeterminate tomato plant (Brandywine) ...can these be pruned or something to decrease the height of the plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
faithling(z4 VT)

Without supplemental light it's hard to get fruiting or root vegetables to do much in winter indoors. I'd say skip the carrots and try the tomatos only if you have a grow light. Even the broccoli, that is cold-hardy, isn't likely to get enough energy from the weak winter light to put out much of a head.

Lettuce (broadcast in pots for cut-and-come-again growth) is the only vegetable you mention that may do OK but only if you have good southern exposure in your spare room. I've been able to grow lettuce, arugua, thyme, etc. in pots on a window sill, but the slow growth in the low light conditions in winter makes it pretty unsatisfying.

You're better off growing sprouts, or following the winter harvest techniques described in Eliot Coleman's "Four Season Harvest." The point of his book is that you focus on ways to harvest fresh vegies that you've grown during better growing conditions of the other seasons, rather than trying to grow them in winter.

Bookmark   October 1, 2003 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
favorite microgreen or cca mix for winter greenhouse?
Does anyone have a favorite blend (premade or homemade)...
celestial
newbee pest control help
Neighbors and I are starting a joint vegetable &...
Glo407
Growing Kale in greenhouse in winter
I have some great Kale growing in my VT garden. I want...
Hockeymanvt
Should I cover my raised beds in winter?
Hi fellow gardeners- I have raised beds that I am not...
Becca50
To Build or To Buy, that is the question
I am looking into beginning a year round garden on...
StairwayToKevin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™