Where to buy palms near Gainesville?

pikador(8)March 10, 2013

Hi!

I am new to FL and new to this forum. We just bought a house in Gainesville and I would like to plant a few nice palms. We really like Canary Island, Medjool, and Sylvester palms (in that order). Diamond cut is the main reason we like them. They all seem to be doing Ok here in zone 8. Can anyone recommend a good local nursery that will sell these palms and not charge thousands of $$? We want to buy a couple of fairly established trees (about 3-5 feet of clear trunk). It will probably be quite expensive, that's why I thought I'd ask for advice.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wallisadi

HD has a vendor, "tree town" that can get you Sylvestris, pindo, and a few others with nice caliber and good height fo about $150.00. Tree town has a nice website, but only sell wholesale.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 7:45AM
pikador(8)

Thank you, wallisadi! I checked with HD but they are asking for a minumum $2,000 order to get those larger palms for me. I spent the day chcking the local nurseries and got the best deal from Mr. Good Tree (mrgoodtree.com). A Sylvester palm with 4 feet of clear trunk will cost me about $400 planted. Best deal I could find.

I heard a lot of contradictory information about Phoenix canariensis vs Phoenix Sylvestris. Most people say that Sylvestris is better suited for Gainesville but several landscapers recommended Canariensis over Sylvestris saying they do better in the winter. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 6:44PM
wallisadi

I'd personally stick with the Sylvestris . A lot nicer color on the trunk and frawns . From what I've seen and heard the canary palms have more issues. Good luck!

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 7:52PM
joeworm

check chestnut hill tree farm/nursery in Alachua, just up the road from you

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
Mimosa ~ silk tree
I posted a photo on my blog not knowing what this little...
flowerladylorraine
Weather permitting?
Has Clearwater/St Pete weather warmed enought to set...
Lydie
Mango and Lychee Blooms "fried" by the recent Freeze
Just wanted to vent a little to my fellow mango and...
puglvr1
So, what can you tell me about Dlonix regia?
Heh, another miserably cold day here, it's really getting...
wisconsitom
Golden Bamboo
Any comments on this one? I think there are actually...
wisconsitom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™