bed rotation for gardening year round

pasogirl75(z06 PA)October 19, 2003

my local community gardeners are looking for tips and hints on how to rotate crops when we garden all year. what plants do you group together, do you have to leave a space fallow for a season? any help is appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lynnmac(Mediterranean)

Since no one has answered your question, I'll tell you what I do, though definitely I'm not an expert. I'm in a similar climate zone as you and so garden year round. I am an organic gardener, so rotation is perhaps more important to me than to someone who uses chemicals. I have never left any space fallow and haven't had a problem. My rules are pretty simple. For example, I don't plant tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, and peppers together. They form one group. I don't plant any of those in the same place as each other for 3 years. So, for example, if I had tomatoes in the summer, I don't put potatoes in tht same space in the following winter or for 2 more years. In the same way I group- (peas and beans,) (carrots, parsley, and root crops in general.) (winter squash, summer squash, cucumber, melons) (onions, garlic, and leeks)(brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage, but not lettuce) A lot of the literature says you should leave 2 years for some plants and 4 years for others, but I can't keep up with anything so complicated. I just do 3 years for everything. For crop rotation to work well you have to keep good records from year to year. I write everything down in a notebook as I plant it. I also note down any problems I have throughout the season, seeds that fail to germinate, diseases, insect infestations, etc. I do square foot gardening which makes it a bit easier because I have my squares numbered, but you can do the same with rows.
Hope this helps.

Bookmark   October 27, 2003 at 9:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SusanMarie(z8 WA)

Saw the following page recently and thought of your question. A rotation schedule is down the page half way or so.

Here is a link that might be useful: Synergistic Garden rotation

Bookmark   November 17, 2003 at 10:57PM
More Discussions
Fasteners for low tunnels
I have just made a movable, 10 ft. long, low tunnel...
grammaj1
What is everyone growing in their winter garden?
I live in coastal south carolina and this year am making...
loblolly9
Growing Kale in greenhouse in winter
I have some great Kale growing in my VT garden. I want...
Hockeymanvt
Coldframe/hoophouse question/confusion
Hi All. I'm hoping some of you that have grown in cold...
kroach001
Help make my backyard not smell
This may not be the right forum, Please let me know...
tjain_seattle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™