newbee pest control help

Glo407November 7, 2013

Neighbors and I are starting a joint vegetable & flower garden in early spring 2014 and have pest control questions. 1) Which is best to use for insect pest control - Neem oil or lady bugs? (2) When are either one added to your garden - at the beginning of plant growth or when you see a problem developing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

Ladybugs will fly away. i never used Neem. I've read that it is good. I do IPM. I try to check my plants daily and hand squish any bugs I see. Gloves would be good to use for stink bugs. They are sharp for me to touch. I try to carry my pruning shears to cut caterpillars in half. I know it sounds gross, but after seeing the damage they can do to your plants, you might understand.

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 5:11PM
Glo407

Dear Zackey - what's IPM? Does that signify the procedure you are describing? Thank you for responding to our post.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 4:15PM
zzackey(8b GA)

Sorry I didn't tell you before. Integrated Pest Management. You start with hand picking and organic sprays,traps, BT for caterpillars,(trying to attract beneficial insects with the proper plants-that's my idea. I don't know if the Univ. of Florida mentions that in their IPM program). If they get really out of control you use chemicals. I don't use chemicals on my food crops. It destroys the reason I grow my own food. If I want to eat chemicals I can just buy produce at the store.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 4:23PM
zzackey(8b GA)

There is an IPM forum on Gardenweb.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 6:25PM
More Discussions
Help with my cilantro microgreens
Please excuse me as I couldn't find a forum just for...
pickMEup
Desert gardening?
I'm moving to a desert climate pretty soon and do not...
oohstella
Protecting your garden
I have a question to ask of you gardeners, especially...
twolips
Help make my backyard not smell
This may not be the right forum, Please let me know...
tjain_seattle
Planting Schedule
Our new neighborhood garden is located in Southern...
Glo407
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™