are my vegetables still edible?

dcleaver47(zone 10)December 18, 2003

hello everyone,

it snowed before i could make any arrangements to protect my vegetables. they were covered in snow for days, but still appear to be alive (the snow has melted). i have celery, carrots, leeks, parsley, and swiss chard. the celery looks terrible, but everything else looks basically ok.

do you think the vegetables are still edible, or should i just dig them up and throw them away?

thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
faithling(z4 VT)

Is the ground still un-frozen? If so, the quality of root vegetables should be excellent. And as long as the parsley and chard leaves are still green (and not black and slimy) they should be good to eat as well.

I don't grow celery but doubt it's as cold hardy as the others you mentioned. Often the stems of cold hardy vegies are the first to get ruined in extreme cold anyway.

Bookmark   December 18, 2003 at 8:35PM
dcleaver47(zone 10)

thanks. i'll dig up and throw out the celery, and harvest what's left of the parsely to dry.

i guess i'll just take a wait-and-see approach to the chard.

thanks!

Bookmark   December 18, 2003 at 10:02PM
jamie_e(4)

Don't throw out the celery...dig it up and bring it inside. If it goes bad, you will know, but better to find out this way then to throw away possibly good celery.

Jamie

Bookmark   December 19, 2003 at 11:37PM
tonitime(Z-6a / E.KY)

I potted up a few celery to bring in for the winter - times when you need a stalk or leaves for soups, etc. You could also dry chopped celery for use the same way - if it's economical for you to do it. I use our small convection oven set very low and it works like a charm. I made"envelopes" out of window screen that keep leaves and small bits from floating around inside the oven when the fan is on.
Toni

Bookmark   December 28, 2003 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Desert gardening?
I'm moving to a desert climate pretty soon and do not...
oohstella
Evergreen shedding?
I have this beautiful expensive evergreen for a year....
FunRose
sowing kale seeds?
When can I sow kale seeds directly in ground in zone...
debcoo2229
To Build or To Buy, that is the question
I am looking into beginning a year round garden on...
StairwayToKevin
Advice for clueless beginner?
I have a 5x10 raised bed that i was so excited about...
NoviceMonkey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™