Death sentence?

immatater(5)January 15, 2009

I was looking at fuchsias in a gardening catalog and I think they are beautiful! I would love to get some to hang around my back deck. It is in the shade all day long from the house and the trees in the back lot. Would they survive here (East Texas, zone 8) I saw that there are a few heat tolerant species, but they aren't the ones I like, of course. LOL! I like the light pink w/lavender. I would hate to buy them just to watch them suffer though.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

The basket or trailing type fuchsias are hybrids but their parentage comes from semi-tropical species native to Central America. Heat is not necessarily an overriding factor....at least in zone 8.......but sun and dry conditions may be. The biggest concern is allowing the plants to dry out. Even if kept in shade all day (recommended), a lot of heat can cause hanging baskets to dry very quickly. You may need to water very frequently, perhaps several times a day. Fuchsia starts tend to be relatively inexpensive so it can't hurt too much to give them a try.

FWIW, white and pale blue/lavender types tend be less heat tolerant - the reds and oranges the most.

Bookmark   January 18, 2009 at 1:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davew

you can grow fuchsias in tx as what was said be for its the sun that kills them and in east tx the wind what i used to do was water first thing in the morning spay at midday and water again at night but becarfull not to drown the plants more are lost though to mutch water and not enough the next thing is buying your plants not many good places in tx to buy good plants you would have to hope for the mail to be good as they would be dead befor you got the plants

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 11:25AM
More Discussions
Help with IDing yellow leaf brown spot problem?
Hi, I'm having problems with my Fuchsia standards....
raehelen
fuchsia gall mites - problem solved
I hope I'm neither redundant with this information...
jim_wood
New to Fuchsia, do you need to fertilize to continue blooms?
I read some articles that you need to fertilize fuchsias...
cyh527
Dark Eyes versus Dollar Princess
I have an unknown fuchsia cutting that recently had...
dennis253
Fuchsia dropping a lot of leaves suddenly
Hello all, I bought a lovely Gartenmeister Fuchsia...
daffodilian
Sponsored Products
T-fal Actifry Healthy Fryer
$249.00 | FRONTGATE
Happy Hanging Skeleton
$44.99 | Dot & Bo
Katniss Art Print
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
Tau Floor Lamp by Bover
$971.00 | Lumens
Refurbished Star Wars Pinball Machine
FRONTGATE