Fuchsia Parliament

RockyGardinerMarch 26, 2014

I am an average gardener who has always admired fuchsia's. I had a couple of fuchsia's a few years back in my last property which were in the ground and looked after themselves (most of the time). In the new property now which I need to continue to build a sparse garden ... thus the other day when I notice a pretty (fuchsia parliament) at bunnings, I purchase it. i would like to know if this is a suitable plant for my location in semi arid SA and for a hanging basket lined with the co-co fibre. In summer we can always get between 5 - 7 days in a row of 40+ degree celcius heat which I have since read is apparently an issue with most fuchsia. Winters are cold with a handful of medium/slight frosts. Area I have for them is a verandah which gets sun until noon then shade. Is fuchsia parliament suitable for my heat/location. Either way any suggestions of 8 alternate hardy fuchsia's perhaps 6 trailing ones for baskets and 2 bushy or standards that could go in the garden shade and available to be purchased. Appreciate any help or tips getting them started and staying going ... especially in the baskets. Thanks Pete.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pwin(7)

My experience with fuchsia is limited. That being said, since you have been reading about fuchsia, you must have come across many articles with varying ways to treat your fuchsia for optimal results. Some maintenance regimens by successful growers can be complicated. I think the only way to know for sure if your plant will flourish where you want it is to try it. Make sure your basket has excellent drainage (coir is great) and that the soil stays moist but not wet. I don't know anything about the cultivar you have, but because of the light intensity in your area, even partial sun might be too much. I had Santa Claus (hardy) in a pot that did very well in the sun here (and I live in the north where even when it's sunny, it doesn't get hot (22C)), but my Dollar Princess couldn't handle it and I had to put it in full shade. Try it out, watch it, and adapt. Look into overwintering your fuchsia indoors. Good luck!

This post was edited by pwin on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 15:23

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
New to Fuchsia, do you need to fertilize to continue blooms?
I read some articles that you need to fertilize fuchsias...
cyh527
Angel's Earrings in the heat- Check it out
Planted a Cascading Angel's Earrings last year and...
fairfield8619
name this fuchsia
The fuchsia is an upright lax growth,with large single...
blushofdawn
New to forums
Hello from the PNW. Looking forward to learning and...
minifuchsia
Fuchsia dropping a lot of leaves suddenly
Hello all, I bought a lovely Gartenmeister Fuchsia...
daffodilian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™