container fuchsia with bulbs?

macfairman(10 N. CA)March 17, 2007

I live in N. Ca and don't expect much winter dormancy so the plant is in a pot in the front of the house. I'm fine with the plant having some time not blooming, but I wanted to extend the season somehow. It's a bush type, I think, called Galaxy Red & White.

I was hoping the fuchsia would be compatible with some bulbs. Any suggestions? I'm going to plant some native annuals in the pot too, to fill it in.

CJ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
atash(8b)

Hmmm...I'm having a hard time deciding what might look good with Fuchsias, so bear with me as I just start throwing out the names of bulbs that bloom winter and early spring...

Lachenalias?
Tropaeolum tricolor? Native to Fuchsia territory too. It will bloom in spring before the Fuchsia does and then go dormant for the summer.
Veltheimia bracteata?

Cyclamen, but these are low-growing things that will need to stay on the edges of the pot. C. purpurescens blooms late summer but all the rest that I am aware of bloom autumn through spring.

Crocus are pretty good at disappearing off-season. I am partial to C. chrysanthus, C. tomassinianus, the beautiful fall-blooming C. pulchellus, and the fall-blooming C. cartwrightianus, the wild ancestor of Saffron (you can even harvest the saffron, tho the threads are quite small).

Bookmark   March 24, 2007 at 10:19PM
More Discussions
Please help id
Hoping someone can help me id my fuchsia. Thanks everyone......
plumejunkie
New to Fuchsia, do you need to fertilize to continue blooms?
I read some articles that you need to fertilize fuchsias...
cyh527
New to forums
Hello from the PNW. Looking forward to learning and...
minifuchsia
What kind of fuchsia is this? Upright tree-like growth
Hey! So I was at the garden center near me with the...
cfox248
Yellowing leaves with odd pattern
I purchased a Fuchsia from Lowe's a month or so ago....
steedal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™