Clarifications to FAQ on Propogating Fuchsia

gardeninginjordanApril 23, 2007

I bought a fuschia this week, and while transplanting it, broke off a branch. I decided it was a good opportunity to try to propogate some cuttings, so I took cuttings from the broken branch. I've read the FAQ, but have some clarifying questions.

"Soft-tip cuttings are the best" What is a soft-tip cutting?

"remove cutting from stem just underneath a leaf node" Should I strip off those last two leaves, or should I stick them into the compost?

"place in a well lit situation , but not in direct sunlight" Would a north-facing window provide enough light?

Lastly, the fuchsia was is in bloom, so many of the cuttings I took had buds on them. Should I remove these buds? Is there any chance they will put out roots at this stage?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kendra2003

I am a beginner, but since nobody else has answered you yet, I'll give it a try. To the best of my knowledge, the soft tip cutting is just the growing tip, rather than a piece of the stem further down. Yes, do strip off the lower leaves. A north facing window has worked just fine for me. Always remove the flowers and buds so the plant can put its energy into making roots. I know many people can get them to root without rooting hormone, but I get a much higher success rate using it. Good luck!

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 7:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardeninginjordan

Thanks for the advice. I added some rooting hormone and removed the lowest stems and the buds. They're still looking good after a week and a half. If they all take off, I'll have enough fuchsias for the whole neighborhood!

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
I don't think so ...
The green house I bought this fuchsia from labeled...
MzMolly65
Dark Eyes versus Dollar Princess
I have an unknown fuchsia cutting that recently had...
dennis253
Looking for a fuchsia "hat"
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and am going to...
Deano62
fuchsia - pinto de blue
Is this an upright or a trailing fuchsia
blushofdawn
name this fuchsia
The fuchsia is an upright lax growth,with large single...
blushofdawn
Sponsored Products
Muse Suspension
Lightology
King 200TC Embroidered Hem Sheet Set - WHITE/FUCHSIA
$203.90 | Horchow
Fuchsia Gray Dupioni Silk Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Area Rug: Fuchsia Carnelian 8' x 10'
Home Depot
Organic Cotton Herringbone Throw
Overstock.com