Geranium's cold weather home

schoolhouse_gwOctober 11, 2012

Brought the scented geraniums in their urns from the sunken garden into the barn. I think they will over winter ok as long as I keep them watered from time to time. If not, at least the urns won't be in freezing temps. The geraniums were just still so beautiful I didn't want to pitch them and I've no room in the house for them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jkom51(Z9 CA/Sunset 17)

Ah...a pelargonium, actually. I have a similar one that smells just like Irish Spring soap! Don't blame you for trying to overwinter it, they're great plants. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 1:25PM
schoolhouse_gw

The nursery where I buy them every year just labels them "Scented Geraniums" so that's what I call them. Thanks for info. Don't they have the prettiest foliage? This one is a sage almost silver green and smells like roses. The bloom is small and a pink color.

I should chop them up and dry the pieces for a potpourri. Is that even possible?

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 7:16PM
trailrunnerbiker

Also use as a cold/flu remedy..see link below. Wonderful in a tea. I love the sun coming through the barn window...just looks so lovely. c

Here is a link that might be useful: Umcka by Nature's Way

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 5:21PM
jkom51(Z9 CA/Sunset 17)

Give the potpourri project a try. What have you got to lose?

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 5:25PM
party_music50

oh, I love them. Cuttings will usually root easily in water! They overwinter inside just fine -- I've been growing mine for a LONG time. :) For the lushest growth, give them as much light as possible indoors. Cut back or pinch as req'd to control the size and shape. Put cuttings (usually 6" - 8") in a cup of water to root them... and since cuttings are small they have a better chance of getting a prime spot for maximum sun exposure. One winter they had good light indoors and bloomed for the first and only time. :)

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 4:44PM
schoolhouse_gw

How often should I water them if they remain in the barn? Just enough to keep them moist? I'd have to put something under the urns to catch the water.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 11:10AM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Well, good Saturday morning, Cottagers. It is a brilliantly...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Early rose-Gingersnap
I was trying to post this a couple of weeks ago but...
jakkom
New Rose I hope to get - Night Owl climbing rose
Hey all you PURPLE freaks out there. Here is the rose...
sweetannie4u
Hillside cottage garden
Hello! I am going to make my first ever attempt at...
rickcrum
Forum changed ALOT
OMGosh, this whole forum completely changed! WHen did...
todancewithwolves
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™