pruning fuchsia

joyce712April 22, 2009

I did not know I should have pruned my fuchsia in the fall. I have 2 fuchsia plants in hanging baskets, I brought them in the house during the winter. I now have what looks like dead twigs with new light green sprouts and flowers coming out of them. Can I prune them down now? If I prune them now will they grow this season?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
darlene87(z7 Wa)

I grow a lot of fushias, and overwinter some of them. To overwinter, you prune most of the living green stuff off, (save them for new plants), then keep the fushia plant in a place with not a lot of light, and just enough moisture to keep it from dying. The little green sprouts will be a fushia. First, take it out of the pot, shake all old soil off, prune any dead wood out. Any dead roots, cut out. Then repot, and fertilize once a week, or use something like Oscomote. The saved fushias bloom about a mo. later than a new one from the store. That is why you make your own cuttings in late fall, so you will have a good start on plants. I do my cuttings in soil, keep damp. The cuttings are about 4-5 in. long. I am sure you will find directions online on how to do.
Darlene

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 4:31AM
More Discussions
I don't think so ...
The green house I bought this fuchsia from labeled...
MzMolly65
Yellowing leaves with odd pattern
I purchased a Fuchsia from Lowe's a month or so ago....
steedal
Angel's Earrings in the heat- Check it out
Planted a Cascading Angel's Earrings last year and...
fairfield8619
Please help id
Hoping someone can help me id my fuchsia. Thanks everyone......
plumejunkie
New to caring for Hardy Fuchsia plants...
I have recently bought a hardy fuchsia plant. I'm a...
EllisRuby
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™