Successive bloom jasmine vines?

princesspea(sunset14)January 16, 2014

Hi all,

My sweet husband loves the scent of jasmine (vining varieties) and has asked if I can plant it around his summertime outdoors office . In our area there are many available to grow outdoors but all seem to bloom once a year and then be done. I wonder if I can plant the trio of J. Polyanthum, J. Stephanese, and J. Officianale for a longer bloom time? Any other ideas? Should I add confederate jasmine also?
Things are appearing in our garden centers here in California where we are having a nice drought, heat wave and wildfires. May as well make the best of it.

Thanks!
Pea

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterfly4u

Princess,
Why not?
I would plant them all in pots. Seperately tho.
They tend to get big and the roots will choke each other out after a year or two, so just pot them in a good potting mix and put 3 pots outside of the window.
They should do fine, I have Confederate jasmine "Madison" planted in various areas outside, one in front of a window, and I am always trimming it.
Madison is evergreen, blooms white fragrant flowers iun May and June, and if you keep trimming it, it will bloom even later.

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 5:35PM
phoebe368(10a Anaheim)

Add South African jasmine (jasminum angulare) to the list. I live in Orange County, CA. It blooms in our mild winters.

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 6:11PM
princesspea(sunset14)

Thank you both! I will add the j. Angulare, is it at all shade tolerant?

I have lots of large pots lining my porch I can use, thanks for the tip about roots, I always forget that aspect of things .

Pea

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 12:34PM
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)

Hi Pea!

Throwing in my two cents. ;)

Jasminum grandiflorum (single variety, grandiflorum blooms much longer than J. officinale however it's not as cold hardy)
Jasminum azoricum (not cold hardy so if you grow it in a pot you'll have to bring it indoors when it gets cold)
Jasminum molle (more bush like but it does send out 'whips' that you can tie to a trellis to help it 'climb', not cold hardy)
And finally Mandevilla laxa. Not a jasmine but neither is Trachelospermum jasminoides. :)

-Robert

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Doesn't look like MOO to me
Since it's a snowy weekend and I'm stuck inside I've...
Randia ruiziana (Angel of the Night) flower bud?
I don't know but I sure hope so! I've been noticing...
Jasmine sambac 'MOO' growth habit
I've seen other posts about the scrufulous habit of...
dbarron
Help badly timed pruning.
Help! The Neighbour has SEVERLY 'pruned' a jasmine...
logo
Fragrant book reviews!
I was all in love with my latest fragrant book that...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™