New to Fuchsia, do you need to fertilize to continue blooms?

cyh527April 30, 2014

I read some articles that you need to fertilize fuchsias A LOT, is this true? Can i just plant them on the ground and water them without fertilizing consistently and have them bloom and grow consistently?

Also, anyone has experience with them growing in full sun?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

If you don't want to be fertilizing constantly dig in some well rotted manure when you are planting. This will also keep the ground from drying out. Yes fuchsias do like a rich soil as well as plenty of water. Good luck - ian.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 10:53AM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

If you don't want to be fertilizing constantly dig in some well rotted manure when you are planting. This will also keep the ground from drying out. Yes fuchsias do like a rich soil as well as plenty of water. Good luck - ian.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 10:54AM
gardengal48

What they requite depends on if they are hardy, shrubby type fuchsias or if they are the tender, heavily hybridized, hanging basket type ("annual") fuchsia.

The first are not at all picky about enriched soil or lots of fertilizing. They tolerate both sun (in all but the hottest climates) and shade and quite dry conditions. A recommended plant for dry shade, as a matter of fact. In my climate they will bloom well past frost into late fall.

The basket type fuchsias are quite different plants and do need very frequent fertilizing to maintain that heavy bloom performance. 'Weekly, weakly' is the suggested method, meaning fertilize once a week with a half strength formulation. And these types of fuchsia will not tolerate full sun or much heat - at least afternoon shade is a requirement.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 6:33PM
More Discussions
What kind of fuchsia is this? Upright tree-like growth
Hey! So I was at the garden center near me with the...
cfox248
What'd I do wrong?
Sort of new to fuchsias here - been working on it....
VWbrownthumb
Help with IDing yellow leaf brown spot problem?
Hi, I'm having problems with my Fuchsia standards....
raehelen
Unknown fuchsia
Small flowers, less than 1 and a half inches across....
pearlbegonia
I don't think so ...
The green house I bought this fuchsia from labeled...
MzMolly65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™