Received fuchsias from Earthworks, now what?

piksi_hk(9)April 12, 2005

I have received two fuchsias from Earthworks: Dark Eyes and Voodoo. Upon arrival, one of the Dark Eyes branches was broken. Then all the bigger leaves withered and dropped off; only one leaf is left and it is withering.

The branch have 3 small side branches with small leaves.

The Voodoo is OK. One main branch with several smaller branches.

Both are still in the 3 inch pot. What is the next step?

They have been under shade for the last 3 weeks.

Soil is moist.

I'm in zone 9 with lots of humidity. I know, they are not suited for my climate but I have to try.

Piksi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fuchsiabonsailady(z8 UK)

Hi Piksi,
The withering of the leaves of Dark Eyes, was probably due to your conditions being a bit different from the premises where you purchased them, not to worry, it will sprout new leaves again.

Yes that's correct, keep in shade and keep moist, not soaking wet. To encourage a bushier plant you could pinch out the growing tips. When you see roots coming out of the drainage holes, then it is time to pot-up into the next size pot.
You can start feeding with a balanced feed NPK 20-20-20 at a quarter strength twice a week. - Kath :)

Bookmark   April 12, 2005 at 6:44PM
marcindy(z5b, Indianapolis, IN)

Piksi, can you tell me howmuch Earthworks charged for the Fuchsias? One page on their site says the 2 1/2" pots of Fuchsi starts are $0.75, while another page on the site offers starts for $3.00 per start. I am confused, but then again, it's probably just me... :-)

Marc

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 4:43PM
crazyforcorelli(z5 utah)

Hi, Marc.

You posted your question a month ago, but it seems nobody replied. I thought I'd answer it just in case you were still wondering:

Starts at Earthworks are $3. I've placed two orders with them already this year, so believe me, I know.

-Crazy

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 11:51PM
More Discussions
Fuchsia excorticata
Can anyoone comment on the hardiness range of this...
hummymummy
New to Fuchsia, do you need to fertilize to continue blooms?
I read some articles that you need to fertilize fuchsias...
cyh527
name this fuchsia
The fuchsia is an upright lax growth,with large single...
blushofdawn
Please help id
Hoping someone can help me id my fuchsia. Thanks everyone......
plumejunkie
New to caring for Hardy Fuchsia plants...
I have recently bought a hardy fuchsia plant. I'm a...
EllisRuby
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™