loquats..

wallisadiMarch 19, 2012

a nice older gentleman gave me a bunch of seeds from Portugal that he brought back. said the Loquat's were twice the size we grow here and the tree is quite different in shape? have one coming up and the leaf does look a bit different....??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whgille(FL 9b)

Hi Wallisadi

That sounds like a good find! loquats grow very fast but if you have space, give it a try. Fruits in other places do taste better, maybe the soil?
When I was a child I tasted something like a loquat but better, maybe is the same thing? fruits were double the size too.
I will be interested to find out...:)

Silvia

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 8:17AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Walli, there is a nice Purdue horitcultural website that lists many loquat varieties - although I didn't see any of Portuguese origin. Maybe you will recognize a description and then be able to Google for images? See the link below.

By the way, my parents have had self-seeding loquats for years. Never planted them, and never knew they were edible... until some contractors doing a little painting work asked if they could eat some. I know my mother's eyes were like saucers! LOL!

Carol M. in Jax

Here is a link that might be useful: Loquat

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 9:04AM
wallisadi

the gentleman invited me to come see his garden, really interested in seeing the tree. thanks for the input!

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 6:01AM
whgille(FL 9b)

Wallisadi - That is a nice man, you should try to see his garden. When I went to the winery in Italy, I saw loquat trees there with the same leaves that we have them here. I just made some loquat jam and I gave some Italian friends to try it and they were not familiar with it but they like it.
If you go and see his garden take some pictures...

Silvia

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 8:13AM
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida

I have a loquat that grew as a volunteer. I liked the shape of the leaves so I let it stay. I have yet to even try the fruit as it seems this guy likes it better. Have a great day all, Paula

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 8:47PM
wallisadi

Christine is coming to your party, suppose to stop over here before then, will save a couple seeds for ya and send them along.....if i remember....:) spring is nuts around this yard.........

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 9:30PM
whgille(FL 9b)

Thank you Wallisadi for the offer, even if you forget.:)

Silvia

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
Please help ID this agastache 9a
Hi All, It's been a long time since I've had time to...
rvird01
Planting Spices
Hey folks, I was doing a bit of google searching, which...
silver4490
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
crinum flowers
This started blooming just before our expected freeze....
marcia_m
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™