Is there a hardy fushia for zone 5?

sandy2_gwApril 27, 2008

Hello;

I think there is a hardy fushia for zone 5, but I am not sure. If so what is the name? Thanks

Sandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftygirl

Sandy2,
did you ever get an answer? I would love to grow a fuchsia ricartonii here in Denver, CO but can't find any info whether it would be successful.

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 5:29PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Why not try a sacrificial lamb and find out. Plant it deep, mulch really well in the fall and maybe put a bucket over it so it doesn't get too wet from the top, enough moisture should seep in from the sides. In the spring remove the bucket, slowly remove the mulch and be patient, look for new shoots when the weather warms up. Up here my hardies die to the ground every winter and shoot from the roots in the spring. The link below shows how to plant to keep the root from freezing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a hardy Fuchsia

Bookmark   May 23, 2008 at 3:48PM
davew

hi theres about 200 plants that are classed as hardy if you plant at lest 4inches deper than normal and pull the soil up over the crown in winter donot prune till the new growth comes up in the spring all would be well garden news in a good hardy if you go to the bfs web site there is a list of hardies which would give you a guide they will not survive in pots out side you would have to put them in a frost free plaice till spring

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 2:44PM
fengshui05(eu)

hi there,

Look out for the hardy list of the British Fuchsia Society.
The plants are hardy here in the european alps with some protection too. I grow in my garden 5 of them and we have winter temperatures down to -15°C in January.

regards,
H.J.

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
Insects damaging fuchsia
Hey everyone, So I have a Fuchsia plant that shares...
jasper
Healthy fuchsia has buds with small lesions/insect bites
Fuchsia type: euro princess, winston churchill Area:...
hayla
fuchsia - pinto de blue
Is this an upright or a trailing fuchsia
blushofdawn
first year fuchsia cuttings
I just bought from Jeffs garden center, who is having...
Debgon
Unknown fuchsia
Small flowers, less than 1 and a half inches across....
pearlbegonia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™