Growing figs

jmcrut(NC - 7b)December 27, 2012

Hi all,

A few months ago, I purchased 3 fig trees - Hardy Chicago, VdB, and LSU Purple that I will be growing in containers. They came in quart size pots and are roughly 1.5 feet tall. I have decided to grow them in the gritty mix and have just located the ingredients. I have thought about leaving the pine bark out of the mix so that it is easier to re-use. If I do this, is there anything that might go wrong? Would I just mix the turface and granite 1:1?

Is it un-wise to re-use the inorganic portion of the gritty mix (e.g. do salts accumulate)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shazaam(NC 7B)

In case you haven't read it already, I'm including a link to a thread in the Container Gardening forum that should help to answer your questions. Specifically, here's what tapla has to say about reusing gritty mix and eliminating the bark component:

"Barring any incidence of disease, there is no reason you couldn't use the inorganic fractions of the gritty mix indefinitely. The problem, if you intend to use the gritty mix so it performs at its best, lies in how to separate all the fine particles of organic material from the inorganic material. From my own perspective, the effort isn't worth it."

"Screened Turface MVP mixed 1:1 with Gran-I-Grit in grower size or with #2 cherrystone will provide a well-aerated medium that will last indefinitely. Though you won't need to worry about removing the bark particles to reuse it, you will need to remove organic material shed from roots and old roots themselves, so it's going to present roughly the same picture as reusing the gritty mix."

One other thing to consider is weight -- gritty mix is very heavy, and bark is by far the lightest component.

Here is a link that might be useful: Re-using Gritty Mix

This post was edited by shazaam on Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 16:09

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
I am Phil from Northern Ohio.
I am here amongst many very good fig friends and I...
peak42
How to prune a Ficus Lyrata.
Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum, I hope there is...
Goldie_1
Best fig tree for Piedmont-SC?
Hi, I have a sunny front yard with some space. I would...
okyard1980
Italian Honey
She was all fine on till August 2014 and then look...
bluemoonlight
is this fig mosaic virus?
Hi, I just bought this Panache fig tree a couple weeks...
merriberri
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™