Do All Fucshias Attract Hummingbirds?

Heather__Michigan(Z5)April 1, 2006

Hi All!

I had an all red variety of a fuschia in a basket last year and got hummers for a couple months, almost daily.

I tried a Hummingbird feeder but the aunts found it and clogged it up (very gross).

? Do hummers like all fuschias? Or just the red ones?

Thanks to everyone,

Heather

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

I have found that they prefer the 'gartenmeister bronstad' fuchsia the best

Penny

Bookmark   April 2, 2006 at 8:00AM
pnwjoy(8b-Kalama,Wa.)

I think red is just very attractive to them. But I have had hummers attracted to many plants that weren't red also.
I have some mostly white Fucshias and I've seen the hummers on them.

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 11:37AM
helena_z8_ms

Fuchsia arborescens and Fuchsia lycioides have been recommended as good hummer nectar plants. I've searched but seems lycioides is about impossible to find.

Bookmark   April 9, 2006 at 6:46PM
corabell(5 CNY)

I was shopping at Garden Harvest Supply for my
Gartenmeister bronstad' and it was temporary out of stock.
I also check Logee's and they were out stock too
So I was wondering why they are stock so soon.
Last year, Garden Harvest Supply started shipping their
annuals and other plants in Mid-May.

What other Fuchias plants attract Hummingbirds?
Thank You

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 10:46AM
gardengal48

Yes, ALL fuchsias attract hummers.......and they are not picky about colors, either. We grow tons of fuchsia baskets at my nursery and hanging in the breezeway, there are always several hummingbirds visiting them. I watch them oftem and they very methodically visit every open flower, regardless of the form (doubles or not) or color.

Hummingbirds are attracted to nectar producing plants and they seem to know which ones have the best goodies hiding. And it has little do with the either the flower shape or color - in my garden I've seen them visit hellebores and clematis, neither of which are remarkable for tubular flowers or the "red" color hummers are supposed to be attracted to, but they are both heavy nectar producers. I also grow a lot of known hummingbird attractors as well, including hardy fuchsias, Cape fuchsias (Phygelius), honeysuckle, salvia, agastache and lots of winter blooming hummingbird plants, as Anna's are present here year round.

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 10:39AM
jandtsmom

My HB just got his first Fuschia. I understand they need to be watered often. It has been hot here for May, so we have been watering it everyday. I was concerned with over watering it, because I see that some of the stems, that hang down look well, I guess you would say dead. They look wilted along with the leaves and some of the blossoms are turning brown. I have picked those off, and there are new buds forming. I got one of those 'water sphere' (http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/285237690/GLASS_PLANT_WATER_BUBBLE.html) to put in it. Is that a good idea? Will that give it a good water balance? We have it hanging where it gets some sun in the morning and then shade the rest of the day. On the west side of our house. I don't want to kill his Fuschia! LOL! Thank you!!

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 5:56PM
More Discussions
Angel's Earrings in the heat- Check it out
Planted a Cascading Angel's Earrings last year and...
fairfield8619
Please help id
Hoping someone can help me id my fuchsia. Thanks everyone......
PlumeJunkie
Fuchsia excorticata
Can anyoone comment on the hardiness range of this...
hummymummy
New to Fuchsia, do you need to fertilize to continue blooms?
I read some articles that you need to fertilize fuchsias...
cyh527
What kind of fuchsia is this? Upright tree-like growth
Hey! So I was at the garden center near me with the...
cfox248
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™