Fungicide info needed

drappardMay 28, 2006

I have 3 vine-like fuchsias purchased from different businesses. One month later, 2 are getting leaves that have something going on...discolorated spots (kinda greyish-brown) that spreads making the leaf spotty, rough and leatherly then dries and falls

Took a 10" sample exibiting various stages of the problem to a local plant shop where their "plant expert" (who has a garden show on a local radio station) said it looks like dirt-born fungus or virus...but wasn't sure because I'm not over watering. ((To be honest, he didn't even recognize the plant. When I told him it was a fuchsia, his basic attitude was "the climate in this part of the country is not for fuchsia"...and "best to just enjoy it while I can then toss it" !!!! )) Anyway, he told me to use Captan and do a dirt rinse/flush. Is this product safe for fuchsia? Reading the label makes me wonder. And I don't want to drown the poor things!

I'm wondering two possible alternatives:

1. Since these plants are in their original pot-mix, can I just repot them in fresh potting mix. Maybe remove as much of the old soil and/or rinse roots off completely before repotting. I'm not sure if this is possible as sensitive as fuchsias seem to be...any other plant I have I would not take a second thought cause I know they would survive.

or

2. I have several other fugicidal products (I have a variety of plants) and wonder if it would be better to try those first:

>3-N-1 by Safer. It contains potassium of fatty acid and sulfur.

>Brayer's Rose and Flower Care - all-in-one that has Tebuconazole, Imidacloprid, and 9/14/9 fertilizer

>Garden Safe's Fungicide 3 which is basically extract of neem oil

>or is there another one would suggest

or

Are there any other suggestions/imput???

Drappard

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rain1950(W. WA z8)

What location are you keeping it in? In Texas; anything more than couple hours of sun is going to sunburn the leaves and midday sun is a definite no-no.

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 7:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rain1950(W. WA z8)

BTW; no chemicals required. Use hydrogen peroxide straight from the bottle.

Bookmark   June 5, 2006 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Help with IDing yellow leaf brown spot problem?
Hi, I'm having problems with my Fuchsia standards....
raehelen
New to caring for Hardy Fuchsia plants...
I have recently bought a hardy fuchsia plant. I'm a...
EllisRuby
first year fuchsia cuttings
I just bought from Jeffs garden center, who is having...
Debgon
Insects damaging fuchsia
Hey everyone, So I have a Fuchsia plant that shares...
jasper
Sources for Species Fuchsias in the US?
Hi there! This is my first post here in the Fuchsia...
ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™