Putting potted figs into the ground.

NorCalNiko(USDA 9 Sunset 16/17)December 28, 2012

I'm getting ready to put my newly dormant figs into the ground. They've been in pots for two years, in Al's soil mix.

My native soil is very clayish. I've chosen a couple good sunny spots. I know it is generally frowned upon to amend the hole much, but because it's so clayish, I'm planning on going 50/50 native and potting soil, lots of mulch on top, then adding some granular fertilizer on first blush in the Spring.

I wanted to get some more experienced opinions on the wisest way to handle this move...

Thanks in advance!
Niko.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shazaam(NC 7B)

Have you considered planting them in a raised bed or mound? I also have clay soil, and that method has worked very well for my figs (as well as a number of other fruits).

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 2:51PM
Centurion_(Verde Valley AZ Z8)

I second shazaam's suggestion.

We also have heavy clay soil. Figs do great in it when I plant them in raised beds or high and throw a lot of compost and straw around them so that they are in a mound. Also, mulch heavily (again...I use straw) The mulch will break down over time and add nutrients to the soil. It will also help the clay soil remain moist, so it doesn't bake into adobe/concrete in the summer heat.

Also...you might want to wait untill all chance of frost is past before putting them in ground. They're kind of sensitive for a couple month after being transplanted.

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 7:15PM
foolishpleasure

SHAZAAM has a good idea I use raised beds too.

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 12:44AM
More Discussions
I am Phil from Northern Ohio.
I am here amongst many very good fig friends and I...
peak42
When to prune fig trees?
Hello to all,my fig tree is bare now and I was wondering...
coconutman
Best fig tree for Piedmont-SC?
Hi, I have a sunny front yard with some space. I would...
okyard1980
How to prune a Ficus Lyrata.
Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum, I hope there is...
Goldie_1
New ficus lyrata & ficus elastica...cold shock?
I brought home 3 new houseplants from the hardware...
mandalynrael
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™