Mission fig tree

2OwlesDecember 17, 2012

Where can I buy a Mission fig tree, and when is the best time to plant it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
j-a-k-e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARDY-FIG-FRUIT-TREE-Black-Mission-/190768211524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item2c6aabe644

These are very reasonable, small and grow like weeds.They will sucker bad for a couple of months. Prune to 3-4 leaders and you will get a nice tree in a few months. I did 6 this year.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 12:33PM
BronxFigs

Try:

ISON'S in Georgia. The sell "instant orchard" bearing-size trees, and the price is well worth it...no waiting for figs! Buying smaller trees will mean waiting for two-three years for fruit.

Also, sources on the West-Coast will probably have trees infected with Fig Mosaic Virus. This variety is notorious for being infected with FMV. The disease may not be a big deal for West-Coast growers, but on the East-Coast, and short, cool, seasons, it can cause the trees to fail.

Have fun. "Black Mission" is one of the best varieties, and should perform perfectly for you in California.

Good luck.

Frank

PS: I would steer clear of Ty-Ty and Willis Orchards....why?....go to "Garden Watchdog", and read the reviews. It ain't pretty.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 6:04PM
foolishpleasure

PS: I would steer clear of Ty-Ty and Willis Orchards....why?....go to "Garden Watchdog", and read the reviews. It ain't pretty.
=================================
Listen to Frank he is right these two nurseries are bad news.
Black mission, I tried to get that variety but could not ans I was told petite negry produces the way and the same taste figs. I have petite negry, Conadria, celesta, brown turkey, Chicago hardy, LSU, osborn and Violet de Boedaux. I think the last one is french. The which over welming me with production is the Brown Turkey which I think it is Britich.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 11:07PM
More Discussions
is this fig mosaic virus?
Hi, I just bought this Panache fig tree a couple weeks...
merriberri
Looking at Bare Plants
Was in garage looking at the bare plants (dormant)...
dieseler
When to prune fig trees?
Hello to all,my fig tree is bare now and I was wondering...
coconutman
Black Madeira
In my old oven :) M
bluemoonlight
LosAngelesFigForest website
Please feel free to suggest improvements for the site. I...
Aaron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™