Late Autumn transplant...?

fredmanJune 4, 2013

Hi everyone. I'm talking from New Zealand. Its late fall here at the moment. I received a Fuschia today. I had to dig it up today because the people are moving house. The plant is old (at least 15yrs) with a 3 inch trunk. I plan to make a bonsai from it but not to optimistic that it will survive.
The plant was loose in the ground from constant wind. I tried to get as big rootball as i could, but found no fine roots when i started digging. In the end all the soil fell of the roots and i were left with bare thickish roots and no fine ones. I cut the trunk 12 inches above the soil level and planted it in a pot filled with a good gritty mix soil.
I plan to keep it in the garage all winter.
Does anybody have some good news for me about its chances of survival because i sure cant see it surviving such a shock?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

If 15 years old, this must be a hardy fuchsia :-)

I would not have cut the plant back so severely. In my climate, hardy fuchsias hold on their foliage well into the early winter and the plant is still photosynthesizing. Photosynthesis generates roots. However, it is on the verge of its dormant period so the need for those roots now is not as acute.

I'd leave it outdoors as long as possible - at least until weather got pretty cold. And should it survive this ordeal, I might think twice about the bonsai plans. Bonsais are typically started from very young and quite small plants - that way they are very malleable and can be trained into desired habits. A 15 Y.O., shrub with a 3" trunk is a bit senior for this process :-)

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 5:26PM
fredman

Hi Gardengal. Yes its a hardy Fuschia. Its a Beacon. Red and purple. Its been growing outside in the wild NZ wind and weather.
Well whats done is done. I'm just hoping and praying that come spring i will see some small buds smiling at me.
I couldn't do anything differently. My main worry is that is was very loose in the ground from the constant wind we have here in Wellington NZ. The soil fell off and absolutely no fine rooting. Only biggish roots.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 5:13AM
fredman

Just a follow up... I'm pleased to report that the fuchsia started budding in spring and now is growing exceptionally well. Remarkably tough stuff.

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 6:06AM
More Discussions
What'd I do wrong?
Sort of new to fuchsias here - been working on it....
VWbrownthumb
My fuchsia won't go dormant this year
In past years I wrote to the forum to say all the leaves...
tropical_thought
I don't think so ...
The green house I bought this fuchsia from labeled...
MzMolly65
Unknown fuchsia
Small flowers, less than 1 and a half inches across....
pearlbegonia
Help with IDing yellow leaf brown spot problem?
Hi, I'm having problems with my Fuchsia standards....
raehelen
Sponsored Products
Woody Leaf LED Tabletop Indoor - Outdoor Fountain
$99.00 | Lamps Plus
Sfera Autumn Bronze Four Light Single Tier Chandelier with Mercury Glass
$325.90 | Bellacor
Hickory Sunflower Stem - Set of Three
$11.99 | zulily
Kopru Hand-Tufted Area Rug
FRONTGATE
Chintaly Carson Memory Return Swivel Bar Stool - Autumn Rust - 0782-BS
$235.62 | Hayneedle