One hanging fushia dead, one alive. Why???

elongrad97(z6 PA)June 16, 2005

I have two identical hanging fushia baskets. I put osmocote in both, and water both of them all the way through every other day or so. One is almost dead, and the other one is looking great. What the heck is going on? The dead one looks like it needs water, which tells me it may be overwatered? Last year I had two baskets and they looked fabulous all summer. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fuchsiabonsailady(z8 UK)

Hi Elon,
Quite a few reasons why this might happen.
Firstly it's better to water every day in the mornings, you say 'all the way through' so I'm assuming you mean until the water can be seen running out of the bottom of the baskets. This is definitely too much water in one go, and probably the reason why one looks as if it's dying. The best way to treat it would be to trim it back, and hopefully it will produce new growth again.

Try to keep them moist, but not soaking wet, this is inclined to rot the roots and then consequently the leaves will go 'sloppy' turn yellow and fall off.

It probably has only affected one so far and not the other because some varieties are stronger than others.

Make sure that they do not have full sun on them during the hot pm hours. - Kath:)

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 2:26AM
More Discussions
Help with IDing yellow leaf brown spot problem?
Hi, I'm having problems with my Fuchsia standards....
raehelen
Sources for Species Fuchsias in the US?
Hi there! This is my first post here in the Fuchsia...
ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
fuchsia gall mites - problem solved
I hope I'm neither redundant with this information...
jim_wood
I don't think so ...
The green house I bought this fuchsia from labeled...
MzMolly65
New to caring for Hardy Fuchsia plants...
I have recently bought a hardy fuchsia plant. I'm a...
EllisRuby
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™