COmpanionn PLanting for Herbs?

midnightsmum (Z4, ON)October 9, 2013

I planted a pot for my deck this spring, with basil, sage. and marigolds. I used fresh enriched soil, but the plants were stunted. Water,sun - all were in abundance, but little to no growth.....any ideas?

TIa - Nancy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
auntyara(5a)

hey Nancy,
my Guess is it was the "fresh enriched soil". OK, it sound great!, as a nursery grower... I only purchase a perlite, peatmoss mix. Hopefully we all do. We need to know what exactly is in the mix. AKA No nutrients. Just so we know what to add for each specific plant. blah , blah , blah. lol
I think your mix had a tad too much nitrogen. As hard as they try, mixes vary from batch to batch. Too much nitrogen can either , stunt, kill, or cause irregular detrimental growth on any plant. or it could have been something else , like too much potassium.
I bet your mix will be fine to use next year.
Then again it could be filled with pathogens that will kill anything you plant. lol highly unlikely! just a joke!
I would let it age over winter in a safe pot ( winter safe) and try it again in the spring. If the growth looks bad by May, dump into your compost. and the compost WILL eat any bad pathogens. Then you can feel free to add to your ground gardens. Check out the compost site on the garden web for more info.
:) Laura

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 9:56PM
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)

Thanks Laura. I think I'm going to try to salvage the sage plant to bring indoors in a separate pot. The other plants I will compost in a not-reusable pile and I'll put the remaining soil on the lawn. It's funny, cause that bag of soil did several small containers, and the rest were fine - it's all magic to me!!

Nancy.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 10:57AM
ianna(Z5b)

stunted? maybe the soil was compacted? or maybe overwatering is an issue, or maybe too many plants in a small space?

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 4:08PM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Brrr, woke up to no power this morning and the house...
cyn427
Wanting to sow my wild flower seeds, have questions
Recently a gas line was installed in front of our house...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Garden critters
Here are some of the local fauna who stopped by the...
loisthegardenernc7b
Here's what my Garden looks like!!
The icicles are getting crazy big, but they look pretty...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
echinacea pink double delight
6 plants propagated from a single stem late last nov....
daves10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™