Compost bins

ebackmanApril 30, 2012

The vegetable garden has been in my backyard for 3 years now, so it's time to step up & start composting. I spend a fortune to enhance my sand each season. Any suggestions for a compost bin? Don't want to spend a fortune (under $150 would be nice).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keiki(10 FL)

I bought a nice tumbler from garden supply about 10 years ago and it has held up well. I think I paid close to $200 for it. It has more than paid for itself. I also us a old trash can that had seen better days and a free huge black nursery pot, almost anything will work, it just depends on where u put it and what you want to look at or what you can hide.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 7:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

I have several very simple large bins made from cylinders of galvanized 1/2" hardware cloth. They've lasted me many years now & are easy to move around. If you're not too concerned about appearance, it's a great inexpensive choice - esp. since it's quite handy to have a couple side by side to shift contents as you harvest the compost. Mine are simply fastened w/ some gardening wire &/or metal shower curtain clips.

& if appearance is a concern - that is, hiding the bin from the casual eye, sometimes wild passionvines grow up over the outside of the bins, attracting butterflies & making them look like a green hedge.

FWIW, you might also find some interesting ideas over on the Soil, Compost & Mulch forum.....

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
I'm in NJ, my plants are in Florida..
...should I call my friend who's using my house right...
maja127
Yacon rhizomes
Hey Carmen, You out there? CYE pronto, I have your...
tomncath
Thinking of planting azaleas
So I went for it and ripped out the ugly bushes in...
Debo214
Avocado wilt
I think we have the red bay wilt on our avocado. No...
DunedinDan
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™