Osmanthus delavayi & Osmanthus heterophyllus 'Variegatus'

dho1655February 7, 2005

Does anyone grow these and are the flowers as fragrant as Oscmanthus fragrans? Forestfarm nursery has them & I'm thinking of buying.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
risingpower1(Essex, UK)

They're not as fragrant as the fragrans, however they have a very nice fragrance which is fairly strong. One thing you have to watch out for with the heterophyllus is it's sharper than it looks, watch out when you try to sniff the flowers. I decided on a delvayi after scratching hands and nose repeatedly on the heterophyllus.

Bookmark   February 7, 2005 at 6:50PM
Nigella(9a-steamy)

O. heterophyllus has a light scent that reminds me of witchhazel.

Bookmark   February 7, 2005 at 10:23PM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

I just bought both locally last fall, and they are looking great during the winter, so I'm hopeful for blooms this year. They will make attractive shrubs and heterphyllus would make a nice holly sub for Christmas. I bought them instead of O. fragrans because they are hardier, but you could certainly get fragrans where you live.

Another very fragrant wafting shrub is Elaeagnus ebbingei. I bought a very small E. pungens last fall but haven't smelled it yet.

Bookmark   February 20, 2005 at 3:34PM
Ron_B

Osmanthus delavayi is quite fragrant, smells like plumeria. In fact, I wonder if O. fragrans is really more fragrant. Haven't been around it enough to notice.

Bookmark   March 2, 2005 at 6:41PM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

I didn't mean to but ended up finding a Osmanthus fragrans Nanjing Beauty and buying it. My O. delavayi is covered with flower buds soon to open, can't wait!

Bookmark   March 14, 2005 at 11:43PM
david1978jp

Love Osmanthus delavayi, but doesn't it take years to produce flower? (I heard, at least, 3 years.) Nice thing about it, it can be potted.

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Help badly timed pruning.
Help! The Neighbour has SEVERLY 'pruned' a jasmine...
logo
chloranthus spicatus
I gave a cutting of chloranthus spicatus to a friend...
donnagoetz
fragrant whites of the summer...
Hi all blooms this season... Thanks for seeing... Radha....
radhavall
Blooming in February! We are late!!!
It is almost spring, why hasn't a thread on Blooming...
rubyjchang
Doesn't look like MOO to me
Since it's a snowy weekend and I'm stuck inside I've...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™