Recommendations for windy area

ladyver(9)February 11, 2011

I live in North Orange County, CA, and need a recommendation for an attractive, nicely scented large shrub/medium tree. We can amend the soil to be whatever it needs to be, but the small slope currently supports a lot of tropicals. The plants growing lower to the ground are protected from the wind, but anything over 3 feet is going to get hammered by occasional days of gusty winds (75mph) that occur maybe 7 days max out of the year. Unfortunately I didn't think about that before I planted a Flamethrower palm there, and we're going to have to move it and hope we can salvage it. So I need to fill the area where the plam was removed. Any ideas? The area is partly shady. I already have osmanthus fragrans, looking for something different. I was hoping for Michelia Alba, but I think it might be too picky and the wind might do it in.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimshy

Michelia alba will get shredded by wind like that. I'd go for something with small leaves, preferably a desert plant like:

ceanothus
callistemon citrinus
sophora secundiflora
vitex agnis-castis or rotundifolia

Don't forget shrubby herbs like lavender, sage, agastache, etc., they'll all do fine in wind.

Jim

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 5:15PM
More Discussions
Magnolia macclurei
Magnolia macclurei (Michelia macclurei) blooming images. Do...
jujujojo_gw
War on Gardenia's mealy bugs
A few months ago, we took home a beautifully flowering...
daniel_cl
Doesn't look like MOO to me
Since it's a snowy weekend and I'm stuck inside I've...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Blooming in January!
Happy New Year everyone! Narcissus tazetta - Chinese...
true_blue
Petunia 'Cottage Queen'
Has anyone ever sniffed this petunia? I noticed it...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™